sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Cadillac CTS4 Coupe Base: hey, the false key on my 2011 cts

Customer Question

hey, the false key on my 2011 cts coupe is having difficulty turning when entering my vehicle. I also noticed when I'm turning car on the gauge warning lights will briefly appear and then disappear as I'm driving away.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're having trouble turning the key in the door it could be a few things.

If the key doesn't turn at all the most likely cause would be a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder, assuming the key isn't damaged. Replacement of the lock cylinder would be necessary if that's the case.

If the key does turn but it's stiff throughout it's range of motion then most likely the problem is in the latch.

All warning lights will come on for a bulb check initially when the engine is started and then go out. If this is what you're seeing that's normal. If they come back on after the bulb check though there is either a failure somewhere in the respective system that the light is coming on for, or there is a bus communication issue between modules. If multiple warning lights are coming on then most likely there is a communication or instrument cluster issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You said:

"If you're having trouble turning the key in the door it could be a few things.

If the key does turn but it's stiff throughout it's range of motion then most likely the problem is in the latch."

My car is keyless entry, there's no actual key. It's a false-key like I said in the description. Once you enter the vehicle, you still need to turn a false-key that's built into the steering column, this of it as a switch that you turn like a key but it's permanently affixed to the steering column and you don't insert anything.

You said: "All warning lights will come on for a bulb check initially when the engine is started and then go out. If this is what you're seeing that's normal. If they come back on after the bulb check though there is either a failure somewhere in the respective system that the light is coming on for, or there is a bus communication issue between modules. If multiple warning lights are coming on then most likely there is a communication or instrument cluster issue." I've owned the vehicle for over a year, it's never done this thing with the dash lights staying on longer before, they're way too delayed as of recently. It also says "Electronic Key Not Detected. Restart Allowed" sometimes when exiting the vehicle. Could you please let me know if you understand what I'm asking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Car is keyless entry! There's no door key. it's a false key built into steering wheel column...
Expert said: "All warning lights will come on for a bulb check initially when the engine is started and then go out. If this is what you're seeing that's normal. If they come back on after the bulb check though there is either a failure somewhere in the respective system that the light is coming on for, or there is a bus communication issue between modules. If multiple warning lights are coming on then most likely there is a communication or instrument cluster issue." I've owned the vehicle for over a year, it's never done this thing with the dash lights staying on longer before, they're way too delayed as of recently. It also says "Electronic Key Not Detected. Restart Allowed" sometimes when exiting the vehicle. Could you please let me know if you understand what I'm asking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
There is no need to relist the question, if you need more help simply press the reply button.
Your original post said you were having trouble turning the key to enter the vehicle. I don't have a way of knowing how your specific vehicle is equipped or any details about the problem unless it is posted here.
What specifically are you seeing with the warning lights? Do any lights stay on with the engine running after five seconds?