FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac cts: I have a 2007 cts high feature 3.6 power steering

Customer Question

I have a 2007 cts high feature 3.6
power steering pump went bad had it changed and now if I floor it from a dead stop for 1st & 2nd gears I loose all power steering
before I changed the pump steering was hard but after 2500 rpm it was fine
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Did you change the pump yourself or did you have it done? Does it feel better once you are out of 2nd gear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was done at a shop Ac delco rebuld
Pump was changed twice. 5-7 rpm complete Loss of power steering
If I let it just sit for 3-5 hours power steering returns. And I can make the steering stop every time I let it shift hard 5-7k rpm
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. ***** have your VIN number. I would like to verify something on your vehicle before we proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1g6dp577570196558 they just changed the piston that makes the steering harder at high speed made no difference flushed the system 4 times I don't know what to do. When it happens there are no codes it just looses power steering before the pump went bad you could drive with 1 finger now it's so hard you have to use a lot of power to turn the wheel
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. This is a variable controlled system. The computer detects not only vehicle speed but also the movement of the steering wheel. It is quite possible that the pump was not bad but instead the steering sensor is failing or there is a programming issue in the computer. With the right kind of scan tool you would be able to see the input of the steering sensor. With that information you would be able to tell what is going on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a pressure relief value in or out of the power steering pump it feels to me like a pressure buildup that after time reliefs the pressure
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
There is one in the pump, but this is for high pressure relief. Your vehicle should have variable effort steering controlled by the computer.