Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2003 cadillac sts with a rough idling problem-can

Customer Question

I have a 2003 cadillac sts with a rough idling problem-can you help?
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already have it at a shop and am not sure they are properly addressing the problem. He soldered a connection to get my back marker light bulb working and after that the car ran rough.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris: Thanks for getting back. If I give you more info. on this can you help me resolve this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When is a good time for you to continue to respond to this?
Hi
Most often a rough idle issue is a dirty throttle body and MAF sensor and faulty IAC valve. Are there any warning lights on, pointing use to check sensors, solenoids, or switches, or any vacuum leaks. He may of disconnected the battery during this repair and you had a part partially working prior but the computer now is detecting a part faulty.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,I do not have warning lights..it seems that my check engine light does not work..it does not illuminate when I start the car. He has replaced the Air flow sensor; not the IAC valve. He did a compression test on cylinders: first 3 showed 150 compression, the last only 30. He doesn't think it is a headgasket problem. He did say that it was a very major repair and that it was probably not worth it on an older car. This car functions perfectly on all options and is in show room condition, so you can se where I am quite concerned. He was talking to me about junking the car! Any thoughts as to what this is and how major a problem? I realized that you are not looking at this car and just going with what I have been told.Thanks, Andy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He did not disconnect the battery. The only thing he did (before this was even a problem) was solder some wires together to get one of the back marker light bulbs working. He did not trace the problem all the way through the wires, but elected to use this short cut to get the bulb working. Would this affect the functionality of the car in a way that it could cause this new problem?Thanks, Andy
You do need to address the blown CEL so you can at least know when you need to have the computer scanned for codes.
He needs to do a wet compression test to rule out the cylinder walls and rings. if the compression does not come up then its likely a bad valve or seat or spring that can be repaired with the head off.
This wire repair would not effect the cars compression.