Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

Cadillac Deville: Well I just parked my car and I put the car

Customer Question

Well I just parked my car and I put the car in park and it went but the light never changed to park. It thinks it's still in drive I believe.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.The internal mode switch inside the transmission pan has a retainer clip that is known to break and cause this. That is the first thing I would check. Are you planning on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I think I can fix it if that's what it is. I'm pretty crafty but no expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's next step? When I shift back to drive it feels like neutral. It starts rolling.
I am attaching the IMS install instructions which will show you what it is and where its located. When you drop the pan you will see it and you will see the broken retainer. The part number is ***** and you can see a picture of it here so you know what you are looking for.
Once you get the pan down though it will all be evident. I would be highly surprised if that isnt your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If this doesn't work I'll try something else. Do you know how much and what kinda tranny fluid to buy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought the car Tuesday
8 quarts of dexron 5. I hope its just a coindidence and not something they tried to hide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Wayne.
No problem. Let me know if you need anything further and if not please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for it. GOod luck and thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where should I get the part
At the link I gave you or any gm or cadillac dealer should stock it.. its a common issue.