Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Cadillac CTS: Why would there be relays missing in the fuse…

Why would there be relays...
Why would there be relays missing in the fuse box? 2008 cadillac CTS. Third brake light not working. Tried to follow the step action test but no bass in the fuse box?
2/28/2015
Cadillac Mechanic: Mark, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.
Just so we're communicating at the highest level here, I might ask you a few questions so I fully understand what you're talking about. If I should happen to be "offline" when you reply, please give me a chance to respond. I usually will do so with-in 10-12 hrs. (Usually sooner) If I cannot answer your question, or help you to your satisfaction, I will "opt" out and give another tech the opportunity to assist you.
To answer your question directly, "Why would there be relays missing in the fuse box" .... the fuse box is mass produced and applies to multiple make and model vehicles. The same fuse block will work with many different vehicles. When your vehicle is put together, only those relays, circuit breakers, and fuses, are used that apply to YOUR vehicle. That empty relay slot, an empty fuse slot, or even empty screw fastener holes, will be used in other type applications.
With your "third" brake light out, sounds to me like it might just be a burned out bulb(s). You didn't mention that your other brake lights were out. The third brake light should be on the same circuit as your normal brake lights. So if your getting power to your other brake lights, yet the third brake light is not working, make sure the bulbs are okay.
Next, disconnect the connector to the third brake light, and test for power to the connector. Use a 12-volt test light connected to ground, have someone tap on the brake and make sure you have power to the connector.
Before I get too much more involved, let me know if you understand so far, have any further questions, and what you have done so far in testing.
Thank you so much

Hey Mark. The other brake lights work. I have a new light and it is not working. I do not have power going to the connector. I connected a tester to the black wire and touched it to the positive battery cable and the tester light up. I connected the tester to the blue wire and touched it to ground and nothing.

Okay, very good. I see you know what you're talking about and have done some good testing. I have done a quick search on my end with the schematics to GM service information, and I see there should be a fuse block in the trunk on the right side. Looks to be a 10amp fuse running that circuit. But, like I mentioned earlier, if your other tail lamps work, the fuse should be good.
I have copied and pasted a schematic from the manual and the link is for Dropbox for you to view. Click on the link and you should be able to see the schematic. You will see that the BODY CONTROL MODULE controls that Center High Mounted Stop Light. Your testing has verified the ground circuit is good but your power circuit is not. Your issue could be wiring from the BCM to the light, or a faulty internal issue within the BCM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aor64wijy0jp8mp/Stop%20and%20Turn%20-%20Cadillac%20CTS.docx?dl=0
Let me know if you were able to see the schematic and have any further questions. I will do just a bit more research and let you know if I come up with anything more.
**********************
**********************
I was able to find a small chart with the manual with a step-by-step diagnostic. I was right in thinking most likely your issue is the BCM if you don't have any wiring issues. Below is the procedure.
*******************
*******************
Center High Mounted Stop Lamp Malfunction:
Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the center high mounted stop lamp.
Ignition OFF, exterior lamps OFF, test for less than 5.0 Ω between the ground circuit terminal B and ground.
If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal A and the ground circuit terminal B.
Ignition ON, turn the stop lamps ON and OFF by applying and releasing the brake pedal. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the selected states.
If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
If all circuits test normal, test or replace the center high mounted stop lamp.

It sounds like i should just replace the BCM. How do I know which one it is?

Below is a picture. You'll need to a couple panels on the driver's side to gain access.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/baj95cronwcrwtc/Body%20Control%20Module%20Replacement.docx?dl=0
Once it is replaced, it will need to be programmed of course. Each BCM is specific to the vehicle.

Wouldnt it be easier to runa jumper wire from the brake lights to the blue wire for third brake light?

I know that sounds simple enough and why wouldn't they wire it that way in the first place, but you might create issues with feedback and your turn signal circuit as well.

When your working with mili-amps for control modules, and the fact that other modules run through for communication, you'll want to be careful when connecting and splicing wires.

Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician