Cadillac

Cadillac STS: 2006 STS V8 AWD. The front passenger door cant…

2006 STS V8 AWD. The...
2006 STS V8 AWD. The front passenger door can't be opened from the outside even though the other doors are unlocked. The driver door is intermittent. Sometimes I have to open with a key, sometimes not. Any suggestions?... Read full answer
2006 STS V8 AWD. The front passenger door can't be opened from the outside even though the other doors are unlocked. The driver door is intermittent. Sometimes I have to open with a key, sometimes not. Any suggestions?
11/27/2013
sprinkles08

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Does the door not actually unlock or does it unlock but won't open?

If all other doors do unlock then it won't be a fuse issue for sure as a fuse wouldn't affect just one door.

If it doesn't unlock do you hear any noise from the door when trying to lock and unlock? Often a failing lock actuator will still make noise but not move.

If it does unlock but you can't open it from outside it could be a linkage problem between the handle and latch or it could be the latch itself. What will need to be done either way is remove the door panel, if it does unlock but not open then make sure the linkage between the latch and handle are intact. If so then the problem is the latch.

If it doesn't unlock then a test light can be used to test power and ground at the latch when pressing the unlock button and if ok then the problem again is the latch.

When I unlock the doors the rear doors (driver and passenger) unlock and can be opened from the outside. The front doors (driver and passenger) remain locked. I have to open the drivers door with the key. I then open the front passenger door from the inside.

Did they both stop working at exactly the same time?

I'm not sure as I don;t use the front passenger door that much. The drivers door would be intermittent. Sometimes I would need a key and sometimes not. Now I always need the key. I know the unlock works because the dor light (bezel?) comes on and the rear doors work fine. Is there a fuse I can check? Or does it sound like an actuator in the driver door? If it's an actuator, any idea how much the repair might be?

Thank you!

You most likely have bad actuators in both front doors if the rears do work ok. It's possible that you could have a wiring issue but it's more likely to be the actuators. The left door runs about $158 and the right about $141 and it calls for 1 hour of labor per side to replace them.
sprinkles08

Thank you!

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
A few things... The front door handles are only working
Hi. A few things... The front door handles are only working intermittently. And the passenger door opens randomly. … read more
Julio Quispe
Julio Quispe
I have a 2008 Cadillac cts4 and. I replaced the driver'sdoor
I have a 2008 Cadillac cts4 and. I replaced the driver'sdoor actuator and the door handle micro sensor because the I couldn't open the door using the keyless entry remote. I could lock & unlock the dr… read more
Tony McCarthy
Tony McCarthy
Owner Technician,
I have a 2009 STS and my driver side door will not open. I
I have a 2009 STS and my driver side door will not open. I have to use the passenger side to open the door to drive the car. How can I fix it … read more
Gary
Gary
Gold Certified Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
2006 SRX, battery is dead, doors are locked, is it possible
2006 SRX, battery is dead, doors are locked, is it possible to open the hood from the outside? … read more
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
Auto Technician,
My drivers side door will not open when I pull the door handle,
My drivers side door will not open when I pull the door handle, but all the other doors will open … read more
chevygeorge
chevygeorge
ASE Certified Master Technician,
How do I remove the door panel on a2010 Cadillac CTS can not
How do I remove the door panel on a2010 Cadillac CTS can not open the door from inside or outside destroying the door panel is the answer do I have to pay?… read more
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Cadillac Deville: My 98 Cadillac Deville will lock the doors
My 98 Cadillac Deville will lock the doors on its own intermittently, also sometimes if you open the unlocked door the alarm will go off. I'm pretty good at working on cars but this has me confused.… read more
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
General auto certifications
Cadillac STS: I'm having problems with my 2005 Cadillac STS
I'm having problems with my 2005 Cadillac STS front door lock. It wont open from the outside but it does from the inside. Where do I start troubleshooting? How can I tell if it is my latch actuator or… read more
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Cadillac Mechanic,
I have a 2005 cadillac sts 4.6. I replaced the outside handle,
Hi I have a 2005 cadillac sts 4.6. I replaced the outside handle, the micro switches and the door actuator and the door still does not open. I do notice thought when I pull the front handle all the ot… read more
Cadillac Technician,
Cadillac STS Converible: I have a 2006 STS. The battery is
I have a 2006 STS. The battery is dead and I cant open the door with the fob. I have a key but have never used it. Will it unlock the door? Where is the lock on the door. I know, I am a fool.… read more
Automotive Technician,
Cadillac STS: Our 2005 Cadillac STS has a door lock problem
Our 2005 Cadillac STS has a door lock problem which is intermittent and extremely frustrating. The back doors open with the remote control but the front doors do not. Once we gain entrance through the… read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Cadillac Technician,
2002 Cadillac Seville STS: my ac/Heat..work fine..AC...wont work
I have a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS with 50k miles. I have been having on and off problems with my AC/Heat since January. Sometimes the heat would work fine, other times nothing at all and I couldn not… read more
Neal
Neal
Auto repair pro, 30 years experience,
Stop searching for answers—
2006 cadillac: my vehicle...All..use the key to unlock drivers door.
I have a 2006 Cadillac STS. Usually when I get close my vehicle with the key in my pocket I can open the front doors by just pullingt he handle.All of a sudden now it will open all doors except the dr… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
2006 cadillac: it is cold outside (36 degrees and lower)..door lock
I have a 2006 Cadilac STS. When it is cold outside (36 degrees and lower) the driver's side door will not open unless I put the key into the door lock. Is this common and what could cause this?… read more
SHOP OWNER,
STS: I can only open my drivers door with the key in the key hole
On my 06 STS, I can only open my drivers door with the key in the key hole and turning the key.… read more
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch
Cadillac Technician,
2005 Cadillac: driver side door..passenger door..the drivers side
The smart access stopped working on the driver side door of my 2005 Cadillac STS. The passenger door still unlocks when I open the handle. I have to use the key on the driver's side to open the door. … read more
RICH
RICH
Cadillac journeyman technician,
2006 STS: driver side..side vents..air as cool as the passenger side
I have a 2006 STS and get no heat from the driver side vents. They did not give air as cool as the passenger side in the summer, therefore, I think I am getting outside air into the driver side all th… read more
goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124
Lead Tech/ Shop Leader,
2005 STS: V8..AWD..the dash says push to park..accessory
I have a 2005 STS V8 AWD cadillac. Sometimes when I go to start my car, it will not start and the dash says push to park, although the car is in park. Also, the accessory mode stays on and I can't tur… read more
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
Automotive Repair/Damage Investigator,