Cadillac

Cadillac Sedan Deville: I have a 1999 Cadillac Sedan Deville…

I have a 1999 Cadillac...

I have a 1999 Cadillac Sedan Deville with 92,000 miles on it for 11 years. Recently I noticed a problem with my dash instruments that my fuel gauge and miles that can be driven on remaining fuel do not work properly. This also make me question the reliability of my other warning systems indicators such as low oil, ... Read full answer

I have a 1999 Cadillac Sedan Deville with 92,000 miles on it for 11 years. Recently I noticed a problem with my dash instruments that my fuel gauge and miles that can be driven on remaining fuel do not work properly. This also make me question the reliability of my other warning systems indicators such as low oil, engine overheating, or any other functions designed to protect my vehicle. I have been told that this is all computer generated. I am able to keep track of fuel consumption by using my trip odometer to enable me to realize it's time to take on fuel based on miles driven since last filling of the gas tank, but am concerned regarding what other functions may not be working properly. One mechanic suggested that it could be an expensive fix if I have to locate a dash instrument panel in a junk yard to replace mine and that because of the age of the vehicle it may not be reliable or completely solve the problem. Is there any quick and easy was to fix this problem? Are there any new cadillac parts that I could obtain for a reasonable price that could be installed to solve this problem?

I also have a leak around the oil pan. My local mechanic says it isn't leaking too bad and as long as I check the oil level frequently it shouldn't be a problem. He told me that to fix the leak properly would require lifting the engine up to be able to replace the oil pan.

What would it cost to have a Cadillac Dealer fix these problems?

This is the best riding and handling car I have ever owned and I would prefer to keep it repaired and reliable to continue using it for many more years. I also have a 1946 Plymouth Coupe that has the original engine in it that has been a daily driver for the past 27 years as long as it provided proper maintenance to it. I feel that if my 46 Plymouth Coupe can last that long my 99 Cadillac should be able to do it too. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX Hurley YNCS(SS) USN(Ret) 1550 Mush Bluff Road St. Marys, GA 31558 E-Mail:[email protected]

1/2/2013
David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Hello and welcome to just answer.In this case I agree with your mechanic.You will need to remove the gas tank to replace the fuel level sensor.When this sensor fails the gauge and miles remaining will not be accurate.The engine will need to be removed to repair the oil leak.But these leaks usually never get bad enough to require repair.A dealer would charge around 1500-2000 dollars to reseal the oil leaks.
David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My mechanic diagnosed an oil leak as oil "seepage" due to.
My mechanic diagnosed an oil leak as oil "seepage" due to … read more
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Cadillac Technician,
I have a 1999 cadillac el dorado tour coupe and it has
i have a 1999 cadillac el dorado tour coupe and it has overheating issues it swallows coolant and intake to manifold hose will start spraying steam and also fans do not cut on when engine is started o… read more
SHOP OWNER,
Las year (2013) I had replaced oil manifold,timing cover&gasket
Las year (2013) I had replaced oil manifold,timing cover&gasket rear main seal lower&oil pan. The car is leaking oil and the Cadillac dealer said that the oil leak is coming from the head gaskets and … read more
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Cadillac Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Cadillac CTS: My 03 cadillac cts smells of burning oil from
My 03 cadillac cts smells of burning oil from under the hood. I changed the PVC valve and gaskets a couple months back the problem seemed to have went away but is now back, any ideas?… read more
Automotive Tech,
Cadillac 2001 Deville: Is the Northstar engine in the 2001
Is the Northstar engine in the 2001 Cadillac Deville having serious engine failures? My 2001 Deville has 63,000 miles without any failures but I have been advised that I could have some serious block … read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
Cadillac DTS: Attention CADILLAC MASTER mechanics! My 98% reliable
Attention CADILLAC MASTER mechanics! My 98% reliable auto mechanic who I have used for years warns me against any Cadillac DTS or DeVille of 5-10 years of age because of the prevalence of oil pan leak… read more
Retired,
N/A
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2005 Cadillac: Im considering..31,000 - 90,000 miles..servicing..road
I'm considering the purchase of a 2003, 2004, or 2005 Cadillac de ville from 31,000 - 90,000 miles. I think there might be a lot of servicing costs down the road with one that has over 60,000, so I'm … read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
98 Cadillac Deville: rotors..water pump..gasoline..alternator
Looking at a '98 Cadillac Deville with 132K. New brakes and rotors, water pump, gasoline filler tube, plugs, wires, nickel brakes lines, and alternator. Would this unit be reliable now for a starter c… read more
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
General auto certifications
Engine oil..two front bank exaust manifold bolts..leaking oil..oil pan
Engine oil leaks: I found two front bank exaust manifold bolts loose and leaking oil( how strange ) we are at 168K miles and it looks like there are several oil leaks the worst seams to be the oil pan… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
Cadillac: there 2 seals that the CV shaft go..gasket..dealership
Is there 2 seals that the CV shaft go through or is it just one? I had a small leak that I thought was coming from the oil filter gasket; took it to the cadillac dealership. They were suppose to have … read more
David H
David H
Cadillac Technician,
2001 Cadillac DTS: the lower pan gasket is leaking oil..book says
I have a 2001 Cadillac DTS with 135k on it. My regular repair facility says the lower pan gasket is leaking oil and the flat rate book says 10 hrs to do the repair. They are thinking they can do it in… read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
2003 cts: great car but I just had to fix as you know the crank sensor
Hi - Ok here I go! I have had a lot of problems with my 2003 CTS Cadillac. It's a great car but I just had to fix as you know the crank sensor. Now within the last month I have fixed the cruise contro… read more
Michael Moore
Michael Moore
Team leader, bumper to bumper tech.,
Stop searching for answers—
Cadillac CTS my cadillac has had a oil leak for about an month
my cadillac has had a oil leak for about an month now and i havent gotten it fixed yet because of the cost... i was told that i need my gaskets changed... now today my car wont start... the battery is… read more
David H
David H
Cadillac Technician,
2003 cadillac seville sls: oil leak..oil pan..check engine..000 miles
i have a 2003 cadillac seville sls, it has developed a oil leak above the oil pan that i am being told will cost 2200 dollars to fix, also my "check engine coolant" light keeps going on and off for no… read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
1998 cadillac: seals..estimated cost..she has 89,000 miles..mileage
My mom has a 1998 cadilac with a North star engine in it, she needs to have the rear seals replaced, can you give me an estimated cost for that repair by the dealer? And do you know of any warranties … read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
84 cadillac: 40k miles..My local mechanic..mechanic says..failures
I am looking at a 84 cadillac coupe deville with 40K miles. My local mechanic says the 4.1 L engine was prone to many failures. Do you guys agree?? I love the looks of this car and want it as a daily … read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
1999 Cadillac DeVille: starts right..Noisy..drove..loose exhaust!
1999 Cadillac DeVille & DTS This one starts right up, but that's where the problem is! It's Noisy! It rattles when you start it and when I drove it I noticed an occasional rattle coming from the motor… read more
Derek B
Derek B
95 cadillac: northstar..am concerned about oil leaks
i am thinking of getting my blonde 21 daughter the 95 cadillac northstar but am concerned about oil leaks… read more
Eric Blandford
Eric Blandford
Service Technician,