Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Cadillac Deville: how do i tune up a 2000 cadillac deville

how do i tune up...
how do i tune up a 2000 cadillac deville with northstar4.6 L V8
6/26/2012
Pete, Cadillac Technician
Hi,welcome to Just Answer.I will be happy to assist you with this question today.I will try and assist you as best as possible from here,feel free to ask any follow up questions to my info provided here.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Can you tell me what you are trying to replace or tune up on this vehicle here?

Spark plugs,plug wires,etc.?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
yes as much as i can
O.k.,most common to replace for a tune up on this vehicle is the spark plugs,spark plug wires,fuel filter,engine air filter.

You can locate the engine air filter box by following the tubing from the throttler body on the engine to the air filter box,you can replace the air filter in this box here.Usually the box will separate so the air filter can be removed and replaced.

The fuel filter is located under the vehicle on the drivers side,if you follow the fuel lines under the vehicle you will locate the filter assembly,it is shaped like a cylinder and should have quick release fitting fuel lines on it that need to be removed with quick release fuel line removal tools.Once the lines have been removed then the fuel filter can be slid out of its bracket and replaced.

The spark plug wires do not need replaced usually on this vehicle unless they are causing an engine misfire and are arcing,these wires are actually short spark plug wire boots that attach to the coils and run down inside the valve cover to the spark plugs.The coils are located on top of each valve cover,they are large assemblies that are usually held in place with some small bolts,remove the bolts on these coil pack assemblies and disconnect the electrical connectors plugged into them and lift off and remove the coils.

Once the coil packs are removed you can then remove the rubber spark plug wire boots from the valve covers and then use an extension and a 5/8 spark plug socket to insert into the valve cover holes where the plug wire boots were and remove and replace all 8 spark plugs.

I apologize as I don't have any pictures available to post here for these procedures.Let me know if you need anything else.

Hope this helps, and please remember to indicate that I have helped you today.
one more thing the engine lite is on had it tested and it said the exchust is rich , should i fix this if so how ? or like they said just unplug the wire at the exchust if so where would i find it.
If you unplug anything this wont correct this fault and the light will stay on.You may have a faulty oxygen sensor that has caused the check engine light to come on as well as set the rich code.

This would have to be tested to locate if and which sensor is at fault and then repaired and the light turned off with a scan tool or code reader.This is best done by a shop or dealer that has experience with these vehicles.

Hope this helps, and please remember to indicate that I have helped you today as this is how I get credited for my time.
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Thanks one last thing

behind the gagest on the dash is a noise like a little fan with some dirt on it and it's trying to work . how hard is it to get behing the gages or remove the top of the dash board and how would i do it?

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Does this noise change pitch or go away or increase in speed when the heater or ac controls are operated?

yes it does change pich

no it comes on with or without the a/c or heat on and with it on

O.k.,if it changes pitch when operating the controls on the heater and ac then this may be one of the heater box actuators operating and may be faulty as it can make this type of noise if there is a fault with one of the actuators.

There are several of these actuators on the heater box so its hard to say for sure which one is causing this and how hard it is to get to it.You will have to try and look under the dash when the noise is happening to see if one can be located causing this fault.Then it can be determined on how hard it is to access and replace.

Let me know if you need anything else and positive ratings are appreciated.Thanks Pete.

thanks i am sure your right but i dont think it has anything to do with the heat or a/c is their anything eles it could be ?

could this be check by removing a fuse ?

.

is undre the dash the only way to check things out ?

how hard is it to remove the top of the dash ?

This is hard to say for sure from here what exactly is causing this noise,would almost have to take a peek under the dash to see if it can be located to find the component at fault.

Its hard to say if a fuse being removed would be a way to check it or disable it as well without knowing what is causing this noise.

Here is a little info I found on removing this upper dash pad,I apologize as I don't have any pictures on it.

1. Remove the left and right windshield pillar garnish moldings.
2. Remove the IP air outlet vents.
3. Remove the defroster grille.
4. Remove the four fasteners from the inside of the vent outlet holes to upper pad.
5. Remove the three fasteners from the inside of the defroster grille outlet holes to upper pad.
6. Lift the upper IP pad upward from rear edge of the IP cluster in order to disengage the retainers from IP cluster trim plate.
7. Disconnect electrical connectors if necessary.
8. Lift pad on an angle and slide rearward in order to disengage the retainers at front of IP.
9. Remove the IP upper trim pad from the vehicle.
now that sounds like a lot of work maybe i will put up with the noise for now , thanks for the info anyway . tanks for all the info it all helped
Your welcome.
Pete, Cadillac Technician