Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine won't crank at times,when this occurs,can't remove…

engine won't crank at times,when...
engine won't crank at times,when this occurs,can't remove key from ign. When car did start,the engine light and TC light came on.Pulled codes ,U0100 and P0700. 04 Cad CTS 3.6 eng. does car have separate trans ECU,and what is location.I'm auto tech but not familiar with this vehicle.I hope you can offer some pointers.
Thank You,
John C
PS. If Idon't fix it, my wife is going to take my Mark8
6/25/2012
Michelle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hi Michelle,
Yes,I am still waiting for help with this problem.

please respond as soon as possible.

thank you
Bill
Bill, Cadillac Technician

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

What module was the u0100 stored in and when the condition occurs, do you have communication with other vehicle modules specifically the tcm or trans control module?

Thanks

Bill

HI Bill, I used a code reader,I do not have access to scanner at this time.I'm inclined to think that there could be communication problem from trans ECU to powertrain module ,that is if this car has a separate trans ECU. Also when the car did start ,the trans shifts were very harsh.
Thanks,John

That's where I was going and if the communications fault code was NOT stored in the TCM then the TCM is the likely fault or the connection at it. Generally it is the TCM. It falls under the been there/done that category. I'd much rather confirm that though. If the high speed lan line were open or shorted to ground, you wouldn't have communications with the pcm. The tcm is the first module in line after the dlc connector where you plug your scan tool in. If you can read the pcm then the wiring is good and that would leave us with an internal tcm failure or loss of power and ground to the tcm. At least on this model, the tcm is external of the transmission although it would require programming after replacement.

Bill

Bill,could you give me the TCM location ? I also want point out that there is never a problem while driving,no check eng. light and trans works normally.
Thanks,John

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding but I thought you mentioned the trans shifts were very harsh?

In the RF corner of the engine compartment, attached to the left side of the underhood fuse block
graphic
Bill
Bill, Cadillac Technician