Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

cadillac-sts: /forums..Dealership Glen..intermittent

Customer Question
Thank you for taking my...
Thank you for taking my question.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/130811-turning-off-error-shift-park-error.html

My 2008 STS has the "shift to park" error message. Dealership Glen Sain Cadillac in Paragould, Arkansas cannot find the problem, as it is intermittent and they cannot get it to do it for them.

This is driving me crazy. Please followup with me by email [email protected]

I appreciate your help very much.

Sincerely, XXXXX
48 GR 748
Paragould, AR 72450

XXX-XXX-XXXX - home
XXX-XXX-XXXX - cell
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Cadillac
4/29/2012
Cadillac Mechanic: Michelle-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Michelle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

I haven't received an answer.
Relist: Other.
offline.No answer.
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 5 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
There is a bulletin from GM that offers the technician guidance on how to deal with this issue. I'll post it below.

Subject:Shifter Binds, Ignition Key Sticks,“Shift to Park” Message Displayed On Driver Information Center (DIC), Dead Battery (Adjust Shift Linkage)

Models:2006-2011 Cadillac CTS Sedan
2007-2009 Cadillac SRX, STS-V
2007-2011 Cadillac STS
2009-2011 Cadillac CTS-V
2010-2011 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon
Equipped with Automatic Transmission

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-07-30-032C (Section 07 – Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

The shifter binds when putting the vehicle into gear or park.
The ignition key sticks or is hard to remove from the ignition lock cylinder.
The “Shift to Park” message is constantly displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC) when the shifter is in the “Park” position.
A dead battery that follows after parking the vehicle for an extended period of time (less than 24 hours). This vehicle may have been left in accessory mode with the “Shift to Park” message displayed.
The shifter binds when moving the lever from Drive to Manual mode.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the shift linkage adjustment, a slow Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) mechanism or a Park Confirmation micro-switch that is not closed.

Correction

Adjust the automatic shift linkage following the steps below.

1. Verify the customer's concern.
2. Position the shift lever into the PARK position.
3. Check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). If any codes are set, diagnose the DTCs first using SI.
4. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in SI.
5. Adjust the automatic shift control linkage. Refer to Shift Control Linkage Adjustment in SI.
6. Lower the vehicle.
7. Determine if the condition has been corrected. If the condition still exists, the automatic transmission shift control may need to be replaced. Refer to Automatic Transmission Control Replacement in SI.

What is basically happening is that the computer believes that the vehicle is not in Park when you're trying to shut it off, and it's usually just a matter of adjustment to make this problem go away. Your local mechanic can probably handle this for you, or your dealership should certainly be able to take care of it. Worst case scenario is that the shifter mechanism will need to be replaced, but it's likely that some adjustment will fix this right up.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician