Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

seville sts: northstar..water pump crossover gaskets leaking

Customer Question
i have an 02 seville...
i have an 02 seville sts 4.6 northstar. i have the water pump crossover gaskets leaking and was looking for some insight into the repair on this one. Looks to be pretty involved, so i am looking for some information, tips, cautions, etc. that will help me avoid any problems and get it done efficiently. thanks!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Cadillac
4/5/2012
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 5 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
This is a tedious job with the powertrain in the car, but not impossible. Do you have the factory procedure to work with?
Not factory, but I use mitchell, which doesn't always have the best repair information..
I also use Mitchell at the shop, and I find it sort of frustrating. I also have access to GM's factory service manual, let me see if I can attach the factory procedure here for you. There are hyperlinks in this article that won't work for you, but I think the links are fairly explanatory anyway i.e. remove EGR valve.... you'll know how to do that without an explanation. Here ya go:

emoval Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
2. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.
3. Remove the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.6L.

Object Number: 490599
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
4. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum tube from the water housing crossover.
5. Disconnect the fuel regulator vacuum tube (1).
6. Disconnect the AIR solenoid vacuum tube (2).
7. Remove the throttle body. Refer to Throttle Body Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.

Object Number: 527521
8. Disconnect the fuel rail bracket retaining nut at the rear lift bracket.
9. Disconnect the surge tank inlet hose from the fitting.

Object Number: 522707
10. Remove the surge tank inlet fitting.
11. Remove the rear lift bracket bolt.
12. Remove the rear lift bracket.
13. Remove the EGR valve. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.

Object Number: 651462
14. Disconnect the EGR inlet pipe nut (1) from the exhaust crossover.
Important: The EGR valve inlet pipe incorporates a crush seal connection at the water crossover. The EGR valve inlet pipe must be replaced if disconnected from the water crossover.
15. Remove the EGR inlet pipe bolt (2) and flange (3) from the water crossover.
16. Remove the EGR inlet pipe and discard.
17. Remove the EVAP emission canister purge valve. Refer to Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.

Object Number: 522699
18. Disconnect the electrical connector from the MAP sensor.
19. Remove the MAP sensor.

Object Number: 518338
20. Position the J 38185  (2) to the clamp in order to remove the inlet radiator hose (1) from the water housing crossover.

Object Number: 518337
21. Position the J 38185 to the clamp in order to remove the outlet radiator hose (2) from the thermostat housing.
22. Remove the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Replacement .

Object Number: 500274
23. Remove the 2 bolts (3) attaching the water pump belt tensioner (1) to the water crossover.
24. Remove the water pump belt tensioner (1).

Object Number: 550506
25. Disconnect the cable harness clip at the water housing crossover and position aside.
26. Disconnect the heater hose from the water housing crossover.
27. Remove the water housing crossover from the engine.
28. Clean and inspect the water housing crossover. Refer to Water Crossover Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical–4.6L Unit Repair.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 550504
1. With all 8 crossover retaining bolts inserted, slide the upper and lower water housing crossover gaskets onto the bolts.
Important: Care should be taken when installing the water housing bolts, so that the gaskets are in the correct position.
2. Place the water housing crossover in position and hand start the bolts to hold the crossover in place.

Object Number: 522930

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

3. Tighten the water housing crossover bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the water housing crossover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Connect the heater hose to the water housing crossover.
5. Connect the cable harness clip to the water housing crossover.

Object Number: 500274
6. Install the 2 bolts (3) attaching the water pump belt tensioner (1) to the water crossover.

Tighten
Tighten the water pump belt tensioner bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

7. Install the water pump. Refer to Water Pump Replacement .

Object Number: 518337
8. Position the J 38185 to the clamp in order to connect the outlet radiator hose (2) to the thermostat housing.

Object Number: 518338
9. Position the J 38185  (2) to the clamp in order to connect the inlet radiator hose (1) to the water housing crossover.

Object Number: 522699
10. Install the MAP sensor.
11. Connect the electrical connector to the MAP sensor.
12. Install the EGR valve. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.

Object Number: 651462
13. Hand start the NEW EGR inlet pipe-to-crossover pipe nut (1) to prevent crossthreading

Tighten
Tighten the EGR inlet pipe nut to 60 N·m (44 lb ft).

14. Connect the EGR inlet pipe flange (3) to the water crossover.
15. Install the EGR inlet pipe-to-water crossover flange bolt (2).

Tighten
Tighten the EGR inlet pipe bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

16. Install the EVAP emission canister purge valve. Refer to Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.

Object Number: 522707
17. Position the rear lift bracket to the water crossover.
18. Install the rear lift bracket bolt.

Tighten
Tighten the rear lift bracket bolt to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).

19. Install the surge tank inlet fitting.

Tighten
Tighten the surge tank inlet fitting to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

Object Number: 527521
20. Connect the surge tank inlet hose to the fitting.
21. Connect the fuel rail bracket retaining nut to the rear lift bracket.

Tighten
Tighten the fuel rail bracket retaining nut to 4 N·m (35 lb in).

Object Number: 490599
22. Connect the AIR solenoid vacuum tube (2) to the housing crossover.
23. Connect the fuel regulator vacuum tube (1).
24. Connect the brake booster vacuum tube.
25. Install the throttle body. Refer to Throttle Body Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.
26. Install the fuel injector sight shield. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.6L.
27. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls–4.6L.
28. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
I actually just got into this job yesterday and plan to finish today..is there anything wrong with slipping the gaskets into place with the housing still in place? Looks like I've got plenty of room to do that and i can avoid taking several pieces off also..thanks for the info tho, ill go ahead and accept for what you have helped me with so far
You "can" but perhaps it's not a good idea. Sometimes little remnants of the old gasket stick to the engine or the crossover, plus sometimes there is some crustiness there that might cause your new gaskets to leak. Unless you can be really sure that you have the surfaces at least reasonably clean, it's probably best to just plan on removing it and making sure.

Point is, you don't want to have to do this again, do you?
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
no thats true, i dont want to have to do it again...looks like ill have to remove the fuel rail since the end of it is kinda in the way, even though that is not part of the directions..thanks again
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician