Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

2001 deville overheating

2001 deville overheating
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Cadillac problem.

Does engine overheat at idle, or when driving?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
at idle. i havent driven it yet. it takes about 20 minutes to overheat and fans are working
Not likely that the radiator is totally stopped up. You can confirm this by taking radiator hoses loose and flushing water through the radiator with a garden hose. The most common problem on this engine with overheating is head gasket leakage. You will not normally experience any coolant in the oil or pressure loss of the cooling system. What will normally happen is that with the engine running, the combustion pressure pushes combustion gases into the cooling system, causing the engine to overheat.
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. i appreciate it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ya know i just worked on a car with the same symptoms that it turned out to be the temp sensor so just for kicks i removed thermostat and then i let this engine get hot and checked it with thermo scanner. the engine is definatly over heating but the radiator is staying cold to the touch and im not getting any heat inside vehicle with our without thermostat in??? any ideas?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
4 hours later i just couldnt wait any longer
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Thats a sign of a bad water pump. However if you take out the pump and its impeller is good, the last experts answer is right. Also on the net a few places sell head stud kits that fix your problem permanently. Just google Deville Head Stud kit.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds good. ik gonna risk it and hope for the best. thanks
Good luck.