Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

94 Cadillac: dashboard..battery and alternator..intermittent

Customer Question
'94 Cadillac dashboard message says,"Battery...
'94 Cadillac dashboard message says,"Battery no charge". Mechanic says battery and alternator both are fine. Problem is intermittent. Car fires right up, says monitored systems are fine, but "no battery connection" display comes up when car is put in reverse. Since it doesn't do it every time, my wife doesn't feel confident driving the car.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Cadillac
3/5/2012
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. If mechanic is sure they tested wiring correctly then the PCM which is the main engine computer will need to be replaced...But before doing that I would replace the small red wire that goes between pcm and alternator just so you know its not a wiring problem. you can get a used pcm from www.car-parts.com to save money. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
This sounds like a major deal, what makes you think the entire PCM needs replacing, and how expensive is that?
There is nothing else involved in charging system thats why I would want them to double/triple check the wiring..wiggling the wires to see if they cant get it to act up then check wiring/connectors in that area..Because if alternator and wiring is good then PCM is the only possible cause which is about a $500 repair. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Are we talking parts and labor for $500?
That is correct. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Thank you... you have been terrific. One last question. Is this a repair that should be done ASAP, or what would the chain of events be if we did nothing? I don't want my wife to be stranded somewhere.

It sounds like it should be fine...If it was going to cause battery to be dead warning on for at leeast 5 minutes so unless warning stays on for long periods of time I wouldnt worry. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Thanks for your expertise, I really appreciate your impartial, trustworthy advice.

No problem, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

Dan, Technician