Cadillac

1990 cadillac: coupe..one out of a 91 deville 4 door..jump..trunk lid…

i have a 1990 cadillac...
i have a 1990 cadillac coupe deville, the rear deck lid motor controler was missing. went to pick and pull got one out of a 91 deville 4 door, installed it on the vehicle. had to jump the orange and black wire with power from the battery, the motor worked after shutting trunk lid. when the trunck lid is shut the open trunk light comes on. the... Read full answer
i have a 1990 cadillac coupe deville, the rear deck lid motor controler was missing. went to pick and pull got one out of a 91 deville 4 door, installed it on the vehicle. had to jump the orange and black wire with power from the battery, the motor worked after shutting trunk lid. when the trunck lid is shut the open trunk light comes on. the green wire goes to the dummy light. need to know were start to find were i'm loosing power for the orange and black wire that goes to motor switch, and how to get the dummy light that only comes on when the trunck lid is closed
12/13/2011
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

First of all, lets compare the 2 wiring diagrams, click here and here.

Is this wiring correct?

graphic

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

What are all the parts from the 1991?

I see that the motor for each is the same as well as the switch. the only thing I see different is the actuator, but I don't know if that is even part of what you replaced.

graphic

i replace the hole actuator assy. from a 91 coupe deville. the twenty amp fuse on the 90 deville is the right one need to know were the 20 amp fuse is located. in the trunk or what if i have to i will get a complete 1990 deville actuator assy.

The 20a fuse is in the relay center. Engine compartment

graphic

Engine compartment fuse center locations—1990–91 Deville

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
2002 Cadillac Denville Tree fell on trunk. Replaced devil
2002 Cadillac Denville Tree fell on trunk. Replaced devil is. No shorted damaged wires obvious. Spliced 8 wires at trunk. Trunk lid does not latch shut but I have latch closed. Reverse lights do not c… read more
eric remington
eric remington
FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR,
associates degree
I have a 1994 cadillac the ac heat will not blow we replaced
I have a 1994 cadillac the ac heat will not blow we replaced the blower motar we replaced the programer and it still does not work you can hear it clicking on and off but nothing comes out … read more
Mike S.
Mike S.
ASE Certified Technician,
Cadillac Deville: when I open the trunk of my 05 deville ,my
when I open the trunk of my 05 deville ,my license plate light and cruise control do not work and I get a message to check electrical system… read more
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Cadillac Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Cadillac Deville DHS: How and where (in the trunk?) do you
How and where (in the trunk?) do you install a salvaged 2003 Cadillac Deville XM receiver module in my 2003 Deville DHS. My DHS did not have the factory XM option, but is XM ready. I purchased the sal… read more
Retired,
N/A
Cadillac STS: My trunk pull-down would not shut off after it
My trunk pull-down would not shut off after it was closed. I've disconnected the unit and am using it manually, but the deck lid does not close all the way down. How can I get the pull-down to go down… read more
Service consultant,
Cadillac Seville SLS: 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS Trunk Pulldown Hello,
1995 Cadillac Seville SLS Trunk Pulldown Hello, trunk still will not pull down. I have replaced motor and switch, all known fuses check and are good. motor works in one direction (up) put I cannot get… read more
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Cadillac Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1999 Cadillac Eldorado: trunk lid..On the switch voltage registers
1999 Cadillac Eldorado trunk lid will not close. Have checked the trunk motor and lid switch. On the switch voltage registers when closed on the blk to blk/grn stripe and the motor side blk and blk/or… read more
Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed
Lead Technician,
1997 STS: lost power..trunk release..inspected..blown.I found a relay
Hello' my 1997 STS has lost power to the trunk release and fuel door release mechanisms. I have visually inspected all the fuses in the trunk fuseblock and found none to be blown. I found a relay in t… read more
Automotive Technician,
I inherited a 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4dr coupe with cloth carriage”
I inherited a 1993 Cadillac DeVille 4dr coupe with cloth “carriage” top. It has a Security System problem, which I will describe. When the car is unlocked, the Security light blinks as it should. When… read more
David H
David H
1992 cadillac: trunk..coupe..deville..a repair shop for oil change
I was wondering, My trunk yesterday would not open when i pressed the latch inside the glove compartment. I have a 1992 cadillac coupe deville. It was working find but I took it to a repair shop for o… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
95 Cadillac Seville SLS: trunk..Inop..red line) and ground is good
95 Cadillac Seville SLS trunk pulldown motor Inop. replaced with know good one. Has power to motor(red line) and ground is good. Ocassionally (very ocassionally) it does work… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
1994 cadillac seville: trunk open light wont shut..chime..unhooked
have a 1994 cadillac seville, the "trunk open" light wont shut off (the trunk is closed) as well as the chime so the battery would run down but i unhooked it Q. how to fix?… read more
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy
Automotive Electrician,
Stop searching for answers—
1999 Cadillac: quit working..motor and applied 12 v dc to the motor
The trunck pull down on my 1999 Cadillac ETC quit working. I removed the switch controlling the pull down motor and applied 12 V DC to the motor. It worked. I checked the incoming current finding it s… read more
Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier
1995 trunk latch. will not move down. new upper and lower units.
1995 trunk latch. will not move down. new upper and lower units. has power and fuses are good. stopped weorking two days ago. plugged in new bottom unit and it raised. replaced top and still did not r… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
I have a 95 Cadillac Seville STS. My trunk pull down will
I have a 95 Cadillac Seville STS. My trunk pull down will not close my trunk completely, and "trunk open" is displayed on my dash constantly. Can anyone help?… read more
Automotive Technician,
1998 cadillac deville: the motor doesnt grab and shut the trunk lid
HI my 1998 cadillac deville trunk does not close properly. the motor doesn't grab and shut the trunk lid, also the tailights stay on. What could be causing these things. How can I troubleshoot it? tha… read more
92 cadillac deville: aftermarket radio..wire tester..wouldnt turn
I have a 92 cadillac deville I'm installing an aftermarket radio now I use a wire tester to check to c what wires were live the orange wire n the yellow wire has power when I tested the gray wire it c… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Cadillac Technician,
my trunk lid will not open with the remote..dash..works fine
my trunk lid will not open with the remote or the dash button. works fine with the key any ideas? thanks, Stan… read more
George H.
George H.
ASE Certified Technician,