John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATIONS A1-A8 & L1 / 40 YEARS AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE
6408229

2001 DEVILLE: SHOCKS..REPLACE GAS SENDING UNIT..gas guage

Customer Question

2001 DEVILLE, DTS REPLACE ORIGINAL SHOCKS WITH MONROE REPLACEMENTS OK, REPLACE GAS SENDING UNIT TO GET GAS GUAGE CORRECT ?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I did understand that you've replaced your shock absorbers with Monroe brand and you have some kind of problem with the fuel level gauge reading? I see no relation between these two systems.
What is you question please? Could you explain it a little bit more?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE NOT REPLACED SHOCKS YET, I WANT TO KNOW IF THE MOROE SHOCKS WILL WORK, THE DELCO SHOCKSD ARE TOO EXPENSIVE. THE GAS GUAGE IS A DIFFERENT PROBLEM. THE GUAGE MOVES BY ITSELF FROM FULL TO EMPTY AND BACK. I WANT TO KNOW IF REPLACING THE TANK UNIY WILL FIX THAT PROBLEM. SOME SAY TO PUT ARNOTT SHOCKS IN BUT I,M NOT SURE IF THATS BETTER THAN KEEPING MY ORIGINAL AIR RIDE.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
If you put aftermarket shocks, your air ride system won't work and you will be getting some warning messages or whatever. Monroe shocks will do a job as if you had usual shock absorbers.
Yes, it is very likely that your fuel gauge fluctuation is caused by a faulty fuel level sender but it could also be a wiring issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DONT THINK YOU REALLY KNOW ABOUT THE MONROE REPLACEMENT SHOCKS. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A DIRECT REPLACEMENT.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
I did not know they make shocks for ride control . I have seen only usual shocks from Monroe. You did not tell what was wrong with your shocks but anyway if it is direct replace , then it should work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I DID NOT KNOW IUS NOT AN EXPERT ANSWER.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hello ,

I will try & help you. If you want the ride control system to operate properly ,you cannot replace the shocks with regular Monroe shocks.

Would you like me to send info on replacing fuel sending unit ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DID NOT SAY REGULAR MONROE, MONROE MAKES A REAR SHOCK FOR MY CAR CALLED A SPECIALTY RIDE CONTROL UNIT, $ 417.00, I WAS HOPING YOU GUYS KNEW ABOUT IT AND COULD GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK. PART # 40030, 40029. I WAS TOLD THAT 01 DTS HAD A PROBLEM WITH GAS SENDING UNIT CAUSING GUAGE TO GO CRAZY, I JUST WANTED TO FIND OUT IF THIS WAS TRUE, IF THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM. I THINK I CAN FIGURE OUT THE SWAP. I WAS TOLD THERE IS AN ACCES COVER IN THE TRUNK.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Yes,the fuel sending units in ALL GM have been not acceptable as a product,have replaced a zillion. I apologize for not understanding exactly what your shock problems was. I would not think twice about using a Monroe shock. Yes, there is an access cover to fuel sender in trunk. This job does take the use of a special tool.