Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

cadillac STS: how to reset a fob for 2005 sts cadillac..after

Customer Question
how to reset a fob...
how to reset a fob for 2005 sts cadillac..after battery change
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cadillac
11/19/2011
Cadillac Mechanic: Rmldaytona, Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I will give my best efforts in answering your question to achieve your full satisfaction. If you have a keyless entry remote that is not functioning, it is likely defective. These units are quite common to fail due to water/moisture exposure and the solder joints for the battery and button connections fail and no longer make proper connections withing the transmitter. If you are good with soldering small electrical devices you can take the transmitter apart, inspect it, and resoleder the faulty components. The transmitter should be still programmed into the vehicle. Other possible cause include the components in the vehicle which receive the signal from the keyless entry transmitter.

As for programming...

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING (DOMESTIC)

IMPORTANT: Do not operate or program the key fobs in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This will prevent the programming of the key fobs to the incorrect vehicle.

There are 4 methods for programming key fobs. Up to 4 key fobs may be programmed to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). Each programmed key fob is given a position of #1-#4 in the RCDLR memory.

Method 1 - Key Fob Quick Learn
This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicles mechanical key.

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
3. Insert the vehicle key in the driver door lock cylinder located in the driver door handle and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
4. The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
5. Place the replacement key fob in the console fob pocket with the buttons facing forward.
6. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or MAX FOBS LEARNED.
7. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
8. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.

Method 2 - Key Fob Slot Programming
This procedure will add or replace a key fob. Method 2 allows you to choose which location (slot) the unprogrammed fob will be learned to. If you are replacing a key fob, this method will erase the previously known key fob programmed to that particular slot. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, the vehicle mechanical key, and a scan tool.

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the DIC will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
4. Install a scan tool.
5. Use the scan tool, to access the following:
- Vehicle Control Systems
- Computer/Integrating Systems
- Module Replacement/Setup
- RCDLR
- Program Key Fobs
6. Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to.
7. Place the replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward. A beep will occur indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 4-8, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming.
9. Remove the scan tool.
10. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.

Method 3 - Key Fob Auto Learn
This procedure will first erase all known key fobs. The procedure will then program a single or multiple key fobs. Method 3 is a series of three 10-minute key cycles, for a total of 30 minutes. This procedure requires that you have a replacement key fob and the vehicle mechanical key.

IMPORTANT:
- All previously programmed key fobs will be erased upon completion of the 30-minute programming procedure. The order in which the key fobs are programmed will determine its numbering position within the RCDLR memory. The first key fob programmed will be key fob #1, and the second key fob programmed will be key fob #2. The number stamped on the key fob case is for reference only: #2 can be programmed as #1.
- Do not place any known good key fobs in the vicinity of the vehicle when programming with Method 3. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good key fob during Method 3 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Place the replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward.
4. The DIC will display a message: OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
5. Press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button.
6. The DIC will display a message: WAIT 10 MINUTES, then it will count down from 10 to 0, one minute at a time.
7. When the counter reaches 0, DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN.
8. Repeat steps 6-7 two more times, for a total of 30 minutes.
9. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB 1. At this time all previously known key fobs have been erased. When fob 1 is programmed a beep will be heard and the DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB 2.
10. Additional key fobs can be programmed by taking fob 1 out of the pocket and inserting fob 2. If desired, up to 4 fobs can be programmed. Once 4 fobs have been learned, the DIC will display a message: MAX FOBS LEARNED, and automatically exit the program mode.
11. If learning less than 4 key fobs, press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition button to exit the program mode.
12. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.

Method 4 - Service Programming System Fob Programming with a scan tool.
This procedure is a 10-minute relearn procedure using the Techline Terminal with SPS software. Once the 10-minute timer has expired, the fobs can be programmed similar to Method 2 using slot programming. A scan tool, Techline Terminal, and a replacement key fob are required to perform this procedure.

1. Place the vehicle in the Vehicle On, Engine Off mode.
2. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
3. Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
4. With a scan tool, select Request Info under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.
5. Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software.
6. Turn the vehicle OFF.
7. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming procedure is selected based on component being replaced or programmed. See important above.
8. Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
9. With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.
10. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10 minute relearn procedure.
11. When the 10 minute relearn procedure has completed, use the scan tool to access the following:
- Vehicle Control Systems
- Computer/Integrating Systems
- Module Replacement/Setup
- RCDLR
- Program Key Fobs
12. Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to.
13. Place the replacement key fob in the console pocket with the buttons facing forward. A beep will occur indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased.
14. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 12-13, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming.
15. Remove the scan tool.
16. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.

Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
What is it that I may still help you with?
fob is ok...unhooked car battery...to install new one now says theft attemped....this 2005 sts cadillac..has no key just fob..push button start...

Our feedback systems are quite important to the experts such as me.

you have left a NEGATIVE feedback for me which is DAMAGING to me and my reputation as an expert.

With 1088 customers that have Accepted my answer, I have a 100% positive feedback.

Why is it that you have left me a negative feedback?

I have answered your question in full detail and within 10 minutes.

So, before I proceed with helping you... I would like an explanation on why you have left me a negative feedback for the answer which I have provided for your question?

Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician