Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

is there a trick to removing the valve cover on northstar

Customer Question
?...
is there a trick to removing the valve cover on northstar ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cadillac
10/5/2011
Cadillac Mechanic: Neal, Cadillac Mechanic replied 6 years ago
Neal
Neal, Cadillac Mechanic

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Here is a step by step procedure for the right side. Look this over for what you might have missed.

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Raise the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the exhaust manifold rear pipe at the converter. Position the converter out of the way.
4. Lower the vehicle.
5. Remove the tower-to-tower brace.
6. Disconnect the four DIS wiring connectors and four mounting bolts.
7. Remove the DIS and right bank spark plug wires.
8. Disconnect the PCV Valve.
9. Remove the purge canister solenoid from the rear of the cover one screw.
10. Remove the three screws securing the wiring harness to the cover.
11. Remove the cam cover screws.
12. Support the front of the engine cradle.
13. Remove the two mounting screws at the front of the cradle.
14. Remove the right and left torque nuts.
15. Lower the engine cradle for (or raise the vehicle) to provide clearance at the rear of the engine compartment.

16. Remove the cam cover.
17. Discard the cover seal if it is damaged or if it was pulled from the groove in the cover during removal. Reuse the spark plug seals if undamaged.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the spark plug and cam cover seals as required.
2. Install the cam cover.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

3. Install the cover screws.
- Tighten the screws to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
4. Raise the engine cradle into position and install two mounting bolts.
- Tighten the bolts to 100 Nm (74 ft. lbs.).
5. Install the right and left torque struts. Adjust to provide zero preload.
6. Secure the wiring harness to the cam cover with three screws.
7. Secure the purge canister solenoid with one screw.
8. Connect the PCV valve.

9. Install the spark plug wires and secure the DIS to the cam cover with four screws.
10. Connect the DIS electrical connectors.
11. Install the tower-to-tower brace.
12. Raise the vehicle.
13. Connect the Exhaust Manifold Rear Pipe to the catalytic converter with two bolts.
- Tighten the bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
14. Connect the negative battery cable.

I have removed the water pump pulley but am not able to move the cover to slide over the shaft more than 1/4 inch as it is hitting something, inside I believe
Did you recieve my follow up question?

I got it now, sorry about the delay.

Have you gone over the instructions? Are you sure you did not miss something?

Neal
Neal
Neal, Cadillac Mechanic