Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC: Solenoid circuit open or shorted)

I am driving my 2000...
I am driving my 2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC 4.6 "9" code 4.6 with an 1860 code (TCC Solenoid circuit open or shorted) since Saturday.. I have Dexron VI in the transmission. I checked the ecs fuse (changed it too) and some wring seems ok, not sure. I clear out the code and the check engine light goes off and yesterday didn't come on even after full throttle from 45 to 60mph. However there was a soft code 1860 when I checked it this AM. Then when I gave car full throttle from 30 to 40mph...check engine light came on again. Could there be dirt/debris inthe solenoid? Would it be wise to run a can of some approved solvent in the transmission to see if any dirt dissolves(if there is any)? How long can I drive car like this before serious damage or total failure of transmission occurs?
9/5/2011
David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
The TCC solenoid will usually need to be replaced for this code.I would not run any cleaners through the transmission or major damage could result.Driving the car with this code does not usually cause any damage to the transmission.
Is it ok to put gear shift in 3(3rd gear) and drive around town like that..(less MPG gaswise I know), or just leave it in Drive? I still feel like car is going into over drive at most speeds..is that still indicative of a bad solenoid? Does TCC solenoid try to engage at low speeds beside on the highway?
Yes you can drive in town in 3rd gear.In fact this is probably a good idea there is no need to go in and out of tcc lock up around town.Yes the TCC will apply during in town driving.
David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
David H
David H
David H, Cadillac Technician