Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2007 Cadillac DTS: mechanic must do in order to flush the radiator

Customer Question
What is the procedure that...
What is the procedure that a mechanic must do in order to flush the radiator of a 2007 Cadillac DTS--the actual physical, point-by-point items that must be done. Is there a panel underneath that must be removed first???
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2011
Cadillac Mechanic: Jettadan1, Cadillac Technician replied 6 years ago
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Cadillac Technician

Jettadan1 :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.

Jettadan1 :

actually it not bad at all.

Jettadan1 :

You can use a heater core flush hose kit at auto zone

Jettadan1 :

and you will want to run it with a cleaner for about 5 minutes and then flush it.

Jettadan1 :

The bypass valve i usually leave in.

Jettadan1 :

and it comes with a cap for when your done flushing

Jettadan1 :

u just drain coolant out before starting the hose.

Customer:

I want to know if under the car--isn't there a panel (for lack of a better word)at the front end underneath, that must be removed before the radiator can be flushed??

Jettadan1 :

that way as little as possible gets on the ground.

Jettadan1 :

Sure let me grab that for you

Customer:

Is it to be removed--the panel right under the front end?

Customer:

Does this removal facilitate the procedure of flushing the radiator?

Customer:

r u there?

Jettadan1 :

Draining Procedure

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

Important: Do not use coolant system sealers in this cooling system.

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.

2. Remove the surge tank cap.

3. Remove the air box.

4. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

5. Remove the air deflector.

6. Lower the vehicle.

7. Place a drain pan under the lower radiator hose connection.

8. Using the J 38185 reposition the lower radiator hose clamp away from the radiator.

9. Slowly remove the lower radiator hose. Drain the coolant into the drain pan.

10. Inspect the engine coolant for the following conditions:

• Discolored appearance-Follow the flush procedure. Refer to Flushing.

• Normal in appearance-Follow the filling procedure.

Filling Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

1. Install the lower radiator hose.

2. Using the J 38185 reposition the lower radiator hose clamp to the radiator

3. Lower the vehicle.

4. Slowly add a mixture of 50/50 DEX-COOL antifreeze and deionized water to the cooling system through the top of the surge tank opening. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid.

5. Fill the surge tank to the FULL COLD level.

6. Install the surge tank cap.

7. Idle the engine for 2 minutes and occasionally raise the throttle to 3,000-3,500 RPM.

8. Turn off the engine and allow the engine to cool.

9. Repeat the steps 3-7.

10. Install the air deflector.

11. Install the air box.

12. Allow the engine to cool.

13. Remove the surge tank cap and fill to the FULL COLD level.

14. Use the J 26568 to inspect the concentration of the engine coolant.

15. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.

Jettadan1 :

Was i gone that long.

Jettadan1 :

so yes remove the air deflector. but for flushing procedure you also have to remove the thermostat

Customer:

well, it seemed like it! And is it the air deflector ?

Jettadan1 :

Yes

Customer:

That is what I keep calling the panel--so you remove it first, and reinstall?

Jettadan1 :

Yes

Customer:

Thank you--that all helps.

Jettadan1 :

and you see you drain fluid by removing the lower radiator hose carefully

Customer:

Got it. Tx!

Jettadan1 :

Really the only other thing i can think of is

Jettadan1 :

use some full concentrate since there will be some just water in block. then use 50 50

Jettadan1 :

about a gallon

Jettadan1 :

your very welcome.

Jettadan1 :

Clicking on Accept Says I have helped you.

Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Cadillac Technician
Let me know if you have any otyher questions at all before you click on Accept.
Jettadan1
Jettadan1
Jettadan1, Cadillac Technician