Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Check out and or replace the alternator on a 2000 Cadillac Deville?

Customer Question
How do you check out...
How do you check out and or replace the alternator on a 2000 Cadillac Deville?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cadillac
3/31/2011
Cadillac Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Hello, My name I Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Checking the charging syetm is not too difficult if you have volt meter, with engine running, the voltage at the battery posts should be betwwen 14.5-14.8 volts. If lower then 14.5 say around 12.5v Etc, then alternator may very well be bad.

Now.. to replace the alternator is r ather big job. The only way to do this job is to start by removing the radiator. Book time for the job is around 4.2hours if a shop does the work. Once radiator is out, this allows for more room to work. Wish it was easier but is not. Its a rather big job

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  3. Remove the radiator.

1. Disconnect the generator cooler outlet hose (1) from the generator (3).
  2. Remove the generator cooler outlet hose retaining bolt (2).

1. Disconnect the generator cooler inlet hose (2) from the generator (1).

1. Disconnect the following electrical connections from the generator:
    • Regulator
    • Battery output
    • Heated windshield (if equipped)

1. Loosen the lower generator bolt (3).
  2. Remove the generator bolts (1, 2) from the generator.
  3. Remove the generator from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the generator to the engine.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  1. Install the generator bolts (1,2,3).

Tighten the bolts to 50 N.m. (37 lb ft).

1. Connect the following electrical connections to the generator:

Tighten the battery output cable to 13 N.m. (115 lb in).

• Heated windshield (if equipped)

1. Connect the generator cooler inlet hose (2) to the generator (1).

1. Connect the generator cooler outlet hose (1) to the generator (3).
  2. Install the generator cooler outlet hose retaining bolt (2) to the generator (3).

Tighten the bolt to 9 N.m. (80 lb in).

1. Install the radiator.
  2. Install the accessory drive belt.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable from the battery.
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

I would like to be able to check the fuse before I tear into this monster could you tell me where the fuse is at. I have one box under the hood passenger side and one under the rear seat. Please reply to my wifes e-mail at leonidas_dianne @yahoo.com

Thanks alot Bill Elliott

sorry for delay. Let me check a few things. Back shortly
The only fuse associated with the alternator is the fuse marked DIM a 10 amp fuse in the rear fuse box. the main power supply is from battery to laternator directly, unfused from battery
I believe that a second question about the fuses for this vechile was sent to you. It seemed as though the answer was sent back but i am no unable to find it in my inbox. Is there anyway that you can resend the to us. thanks you.
What I sent yesterday

The only fuse associated with the alternator is the fuse marked DIM a 10 amp fuse in the rear fuse box. the main power supply is from battery to alternator directly, unfused from battery
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech