Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Cts: a new battery and alternator on car but it stilll keeps dying

I have an 03 cts. I have put a new battery and alternator on car but it stilll keeps dying
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

The battery dies while driving?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. service system stability and then service charging system comes on and the voltage starts to drop and then it will die. When driving to work today i lost all power in the car but it continued to drive at spurts.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like you have a problem with orange wire between alternator and pcm. Backprobe the Orange wire at the alternator with a volt meter and test the voltage with the engine running. There should be at least 5 volts. If lower, disconnect the alternator and retest. If it jumps up, the alternator is defective. If it is still low, check for opens and grounds in the Orange wire. Check for loose Engine Control Module (ECM) terminals. With alternator disconnected Red wire should have battery voltage. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So is it a problem with the alternator or could it be a computer issue? Is this common? When pulling up my diagnostics these are the codes I get:
c1236
c1248
c1277
c1293
p0856
p0562
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
If alternator wiring tests out good then the problem is the PCM Powertrain Control Module which is the main computer.....P0562 is for the charging problem, P0856 is related to the C codes....I'd start with the charging problem because low voltage can cause alot of other random problems. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hmmm ok here is another weird thing... when I hooked the new battery in my power stering started to act up. It was extremely hard to turn and then after a minute got easier and then normal. This has happened a couple of times....even though when I lost power driving then it still acted fine instead of locking up. Any thoughts.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
That could be something such as old fluid....Not moving as freely as it should and getting better when it warms up, it could also be a problem with the abs module that could effect power steering assist, but I'd still start with the power steering problem just incase its related. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well when my service stability system shows up...the abs and traction control lights come on.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Those are most likely all caused by the same thing which could be the charging issue. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
If you have questions about other codes if still there after charging problem is taken care of let me know. Thanks.