Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Cadillac Deville need step by step instructions on replacing

Customer Question
need step by step instructions...
need step by step instructions on replacing water pump on 2003 cadillac deville. Is this a repair a home mechanic can attempt?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Cadillac
11/26/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: Tim West, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 years ago
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
You will need a special tool.

Water Pump Replacement

• Tools Required
  • J 38816-A Water Pump Remover & Installer
  • J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove the upper filler panel.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
  4. Remove the secondary AIR injection control valve.
  5. Remove the oil level indicator tube nut.
  6. Remove the water pump belt shield fasteners. Remove the water pump belt shield.

1. Remove the water pump drive belt (4).

1. Position the J 38185 to the clamp in order to remove the radiator outlet hose from the thermostat housing.

1. Remove the water pump cover bolts.
  2. Remove the water pump cover.
  3. Disconnect the heater return hose.

1. Position the J 38816-A to the water pump locking ears.
  2. Fasten the support plate to the water housing crossover, to ensure proper engagement of the tool to the water pump locking ears.
  3. Using the J 38816-A, turn the pump clockwise in order to remove the pump from the housing.
  4. Remove the support plate from the water housing crossover.

1. Remove the water pump from the vehicle.
  2. Remove the seal from the water crossover.
  3. Clean the sealing surfaces of the water housing crossover and the pump cover.
  4. Clean and inspect the water pump.

Installation Procedure

1. Insert the seal into the recessed portion of the water crossover.

Important: The notched locking ear (1) must be in the 7 O'clock position.

1. Index the water pumps locking ears with the tangs in the water crossover.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Turn the J38816-A counterclockwise.
    • Tighten the water pump to 100 Nm (74 ft. lbs.).
  1. Remove the support plate from the water housing crossover.

1. Connect the water pump cover to the heater return hose.
  2. Install the water pump cover to the water housing crossover.
  3. Install the water pump cover bolts. Tighten Tighten the water pump cover bolts to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .

1. Position the J 38185 to the clamp in order to connect the radiator outlet hose to the thermostat housing.

1. Install the water pump drive belt (4).

1. Place the water pump belt shield in position.
  2. Install the water pump belt shield fasteners.
    • Tighten the water pump belt shield fasteners to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .
  1. Install the oil level indicator tube nut.
    • Tighten the oil level indicator tube nut to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.) .
  1. Install the secondary AIR injection control valve.
  2. Install the air cleaner assembly.
  3. Install the upper filler panel.
  4. Fill the cooling system.

Thanks. Are there any other sort of issues that would cause overheating? Already replaced thermostat
When is it overheating mainly highway? Are both the radiator hoses getting warm?
Overheats after 15 minutes of engine running. Top hose is hot. Coolant in reservior is cold. Overheatswhen sitting idle or when running. Engine runs fine tho...

I would make sure there are no hot spots on the radiator. if there is a hot spot it could indicate a clog in the radiator.

Also, blown head gaskets are pretty common on this vehicle as well. I would recommend getting a kit from the parts store that will check for exhaust gasses in the coolant.
IF there is exhaust gasses in the coolant then the head gaskets will need to be replaced.
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Tim West
Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician