Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

How do you program a new key without the old key for a 2005 cts

Customer Question
how do you program a new key without the old key for a 2005 cts
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
10/16/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: John, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
John, ASE Certified Technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

A scan tool must be used to program the system WITHOUT the original key. Here are the procedures.

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Important: When replacing a theft deterrent control module with a GM SPO Replacement Part, insure the 10-minute relearn procedure or the 30-minute relearn procedure is performed prior to the Setup a New Theft Deterrent Control Module procedure.

Important:

When replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, the theft deterrent control module will learn the keys immediately. However, the existing engine control module (ECM) must learn the fuel continue password XXXXX the replacement theft deterrent control module.
When replacing an ECM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, the new ECM will learn the incoming fuel continue password XXXXX the theft deterrent control module immediately upon the next ignition switch from OFF to CRANK. A ECM which had been installed in another vehicle will have learned the fuel continue password XXXXX the other vehicle's theft deterrent control module. Perform either the 10-minute relearn procedure or the 30-minute relearn procedure to learn the fuel continue password XXXXX the current vehicles theft deterrent control module.
When performing either relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the theft deterrent control module's memory.
Additional keys may be learned after performing either the 10-minute relearn procedure or the 30-minute relearn procedure. .
Use only a master key when performing the first relearn procedure. If you use a valet key first, the theft deterrent control module will not allow additional keys to be learned.

Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

The passkey III+ (PK3+) keys.
The theft deterrent control module.
The ECM, see Important above.

Important: When replacing either the passkey III+ (PK3+) keys, ECM or theft deterrent control module and the 10-minute relearn procedure is used, ensure that the appropriate calibration is selected for the replacement component on the calibration selection screen of the service programming system. The appropriate calibrations for specific VTD system components are described below.

When replacing PK3+ keys and the 10-minute relearn procedure is used, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for Passkey III System Control Module calibration is required. This clears all previously learned keys from the theft deterrent control module and enables the theft deterrent control module to learn new PK3+ keys.
    When replacing an ECM that has previously learned another vehicles theft deterrent control modules fuel continue password XXXXX the 10-minute relearn procedure is used, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for Powertrain System Control Module calibration is required. This clears the previously learned fuel continue password XXXXX the ECM and enables the ECM to learn the next fuel continue password XXXXX receives.
    When replacing a theft deterrent control module and the 10-minute relearn procedure is used, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for Powertrain System Control Module calibration is required. This clears the previously learned fuel continue password XXXXX the ECM and enables the ECM to learn the next fuel continue password XXXXX receives.

1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  3. Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
  4. With a scan tool, select Request Info. under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.
  5. Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software.
  6. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions. Ensure the correct programming procedure is selected based on component being replaced or programmed. See Important above.
  7. Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.
  8. With a master PK3+ key, turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
  9. With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.
  10. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

Important:

The scan tool will initially display 12 Minutes. The first 2 minutes allow the scan tool to initialize the appropriate control module. The remaining 10 minutes is the relearn timer.
    On some vehicles the SECURITY telltale may be illuminated on steady for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

11. Observe the scan tool, after approximately 10 minutes the scan tool will display "Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition". The vehicle is now ready to relearn the key information and/or the passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  12. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds.
  13. With a master PK3+ key, start the vehicle. The theft deterrent control module has now learned the key transponder information or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.

Important: Perform this step ONLY on vehicles with EXPORT configured theft deterrent control modules.

14. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 15 seconds minimum.

15. With a second master PK3+ key, start the vehicle. The theft deterrent control module has now learned the second master PK3+ key transponder information.
  16. If additional keys are required to be learned, .
  17. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

The passkey III+ (PK3+) keys.
The theft deterrent control module.
The ECM, see important above.

Important: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured theft deterrent control modules.

1. With a master passkey III+ (PK3+) key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master PK3+ key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  6. If additional keys are required to be learned, With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

Use this procedure only if replacing the theft deterrent control module with a GM SPO Replacement Part.

Important: Before proceeding with Step 1, ensure the 10-minute or 30-minute relearn procedure has been completed.

1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.
  3. With a scan tool, select Setup New VTD Module in the Vehicle Theft Deterrent, Special Functions data list.
  4. Follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.
I have no scan tool and I was told by a good friend who's father is a mechanic that it can be done without one
On the older vehicle theft deterrent systems it could be done ,but with pass key 3 you must have a master key to program more keys. Your post said "without the old key".

ok well I was told different by a employee with keymasters today, I do not have they key yet so he didn't go into detail except to tell me to call him and he would walk me through it, so inless you can walk me through it without the scan tool im going to have to go with him. thanks for your time though either way

OK,I will let them help you. Have a good day.
John, ASE Certified Technician