Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

96 deville: northstar..turbine sensor not reading

96 deville 275hp northstar service...
96 deville 275hp northstar service transmission code: turbine sensor not reading
10/13/2010
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better,

Can you tell me what the code number is XXXXX you are getting?

Has anything been done to try and correct this or that may have caused this?

Let me know and we can continue,Thanks Pete!

Don't have code #. Mechanic friend ckd it and it said: turbine speed sensor not functioning.

Nothing done. Thanks Pete

Your transmission has two speed sensors one is an input speed sensor and the other is the vehicle speed sensor used by the computers and the instrument cluster for vehicle speed.

I am assuming this code is set for the input speed sensor,if this sensor fails then it will cause this concern.

There have been some issues as well as the transmission fluid leaking into the wiring harness and then the fluid makes its way into the computer damageing the computer.

To correct this the harness and sensors need replaced aand if the computer is damaged then it needs replaced as well.

If you can locate your computer should be located under neath the air cleaner assembly under the hood of the vehicle,disconnect the wiring connectors from this computer and check for any fluid leaking out of the connector,if there is fluid then the above repair needs to be done to correct this.

If there is no fluid then I would have the input speed sensor replaced to correct this conditon.The sensor shoudnt cost more then $50 and about 12 hours labor to replace as the transmission has to be dropped down and dissasembled to replace it.

THERE IS PLENTY OF FLUID AND IT LOOKS AND FEELS FINE. NO BURNT SMELL.

O.k.,but it only takes a small amount of fluid to leak into the harness and contaminate the computer,the fluid may be full and look/smell o.k. but some may have leaked into the harness and caused this failure,this is the biggest concern with this type of fault and if no fluid is found in the harness then the speed sensor in the transmission needs replaced,I have seen both failures,most commonly the fluid damage.

I hope this helped,if you need anything else let me know,Thanks Pete!

Does this issue have the potential to cascade into a major transmission replacement type problem?

Or will it just continue as an "Annoyance light factor". With old cars often intermittant signal loss may be due to contact resistance in the connectors? Not actual loss of systemic functionality?

The fixes for the problem seem to range for about 500 to over $1500, and I cannot afford to put that kind of money into a car with 145,000 miles.

You can continue to drive the vehicle but it may shift erratically and yes if it starts to shift hard or slip this can cause more failures or problems within the transmission itself.

It is an expensive repair as we have had to have some of these sensors replaced to correct this fault as well as the fluid in the wiring concern that has damaged computers and have had to dissasemble the transmission to replace the harness as well.

Pete, Cadillac Technician
Pete, Cadillac Technician