Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2000 cadillac deville overheating. i bought a cadillac deville

Customer Question
2000 cadillac deville overheating....
2000 cadillac deville overheating. i bought a cadillac deville with a 4.6 engine the engine runs great i can have the car running at idle for about 1 hour and the tempeture is normal. i can also have it running up in the lift running and after running it for 30 miles the the tempeture still normal i can go up to 60 on the lift and the tempeture is fine. but as soon as i go around the block the tempeture gauge goes to hot with in 3-5 mins of driving it on the street but as soon as i put it in park and idle the gauge goes back to the middle. i replaced the termostat. what can be wrong theres no white smoke coming out of the pipes or antifreeze mix with engine oil.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
10/9/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 7 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

its a head or head gasket issue....i would have a leak down or combustion leak test performed....

here are a few service bulletins

Bulletin No.: 00-06-02-001

File In Section: 06 Engine/Propulsion System

Date: January, 2000

Subject:
Engine Running Hot, Overheating and/or Loss of Coolant (Polish Radiator Filler Neck and Replace Radiator Cap)

Models:
1999-2000 Passenger Cars and Trucks with Composite Radiator End Tank

Condition

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

^Engine running hot

^Engine overheating, and/or

^Loss of coolant/low coolant message

Cause

The radiator filler neck may have an imperfection in the sealing surface.

Correction

Important: DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIATOR.

Using a piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper backed with a flat piece of wood, polish the filler neck sealing surface using a circular motion.

Replace the radiator pressure cap with a cap of the same part number as shown in the GM Service Parts Catalog.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Labor Operation Description Time J3020 Cap, Radiator Filler - Replace0.2 hr

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-01-016

Date: August, 2000

INFORMATION

Subject:
Enhanced Aluminum Engine Component Thread Repair Process

Models:
1993 Cadillac Allante
1993-2001 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville
1994-1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours
1996-2001 Cadillac DeVille
2000-2001 Cadillac DeVille Touring
1997-2001 Chevrolet Corvette
1998-2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1995-2001 Oldsmobile Aurora (V8)
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora (V6)
1998-2001 Pontiac Firebird
with 2.2 L, 3.5 L, 4.0 L, 4.6 L or 5.7 L Engine
(VINs F, H, C, 9, Y, G, S - RPOs L61, LX5, L47, L37, LD8, LS1, LS6)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

An enhanced thread repair process has been developed for use on General Motors aluminum engine components for the above listed engines. The thread repair kits used for this process represent a significant advancement in aluminum component thread repair, providing consistently repeatable high quality repairs which, when properly performed, will meet or exceed the original specifications. This enhanced thread repair process can, and should, be used to repair aluminum engine components, instead of complete engine replacement, whenever possible. Kent-Moore has distributed these thread repair kits to General Motors dealerships as part of their essential tool packages. The J 43965 Thread Repair Extension Kit has proven to be invaluable in the repair of difficult to access thread repair locations. Listed are the Engine VINs / RPOs and the applicable Kent-Moore essential tool thread repair kits.

Consult the appropriate applicable GM Service Manual or Kent-Moore thread repair kit for complete detailed instructions on the proper use of the above thread repair kits.

Register Here

Warranty Information

Important : This Thread Repair

but why does it only gets hot when its running on the ground and not on the lift.
you said it does it when driving, thats a sign of the combustion heat leaking into the coolant system

but so in the lift i have the front tires driving and it does not overheat.

sing of the combustion heat leaking into the coolant system: whats the meaning of this?

there is no load on the car up in the air....The temp increases under load
can you send me the steps to replace the head gaskets thanks
the motor needs to be dropped out from the bottom and its 24 hours flat rate
since the engine has to dropped i rather just replace the whole engine what years are perfect fit for this car. this car is a 2000 deville with a 4.6l 8th digit is "y". thanks
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy