David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

CTS: started making..hood..jerk..the check engine light began blinking

I have an 06 CTS that started making a loud rattling noise under the left hood close to the driver's door for several days. While driving it today the transmission began to jerk a little and the check engine light began blinking. I'm trying to coordinate a rental car to get this vehicle to the shop. Not sure if this will break the bank or not. Any ideas or thoughts?!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 7 years ago.
The flashing check engine light with transmission jerk indicates an engine misfire.This usually indicates a problem with a spark plug or ignition coil.But there could also be a problem with one of the timing chains which would be an expensive repair.When there is a timing chain issue you can also get a rattle noise.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have a recall notice for a front brake hose fitting that supposedly corrodes. I have an apt to get this fixed on Thursday. Could this be related to the noise and blinking engine light? Also, the noise sometimes stops, then starts again when the engine is downshifting like when I'm coming to a stop.
Expert:  David H replied 7 years ago.
No that recall would not be related.That recall is related to possible loss of brake fluid with loss of braking.The noise may just be a coincidence and not related to the engine misfire.I would not drive the car with an engine misfire or the catalytic converter's will get damaged.