Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer,Hrybrid certified
5720312

Where is the input speed sensor on Cadillac Seville SLS?

Where is the input speed sensor or the transmission speed sensor located on a 2002 Cadillac Seville SLS?

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

The input speed sensor is mounted inside the transmission, behind the transmission side cover. Here is a picture of the input speed sensor and the output speed sensor.

graphic

(14)Automatic Transmission Input (Shaft) Speed Sensor (ISS)

(130)Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I was told by Autozone that it was not located inside transmission, it was located on top of the passenger side trans axle but to me it looks like the vehicle speed sensor is that what it could be.

This vehicle has two speed sensors. the one on the outside of trans, mounted on the passenger side of transmission is used for speedometer and some trans functions. The one inside of trans is used to measure the input shaft speed, which is also used for trans functions.

Is the check engine light on and is there a code stored in the computer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes the check engine light is on and it shifts into gear pretty hard but than sometimes the the light is off and it works fine so I had them up at Autozone hook up the OBD2 and the code came up for the input speed sensor but i dont know what the code was. Is the transmission speed sensor and the input?

Ok, does your speedometer work ok?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the speedometer works fine

Ok, then you probably have either a code P0716 or P0717 trouble code stored in the system. Since the your speedo works ok, then it is the input speed sensor for sure. This speed sensor is the one that is inside the transmission. This is a pretty tough job on this vehicle. The transmission has to be removed from the car then the side cover needs to be removed to replace the input speed sensor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can I still drive it or am I gonna cause more problems? If so what kind of problems?

Driving with this probably wont hurt anything for awhile but yes this will need to be repaired as soon as you can. What happens when this code sets, the power train control module will disable torque converter clutch operation, which can cause the trans to operate a higher fluid temp. The PCM also commands the transmission to full line pressure. This will make the transmission shift hard and not smooth.

The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.
The PCM commands maximum line pressure.
The PCM inhibits TCC engagement.
The PCM calculates input shaft speed from vehicle speed and commanded gear.
The PCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The PCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
The PCM stores DTC P0717 in PCM history during the second consecutive trip in which
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What do you think the cost would be for a job like that?

It is about a 10 hour job. depending on your local shops labor rate, somewhere between $750.00 and $1,000.00 in labor. The part is around $150.00 or so. I don't have the exact parts price.

I hope this was helpful.

Thank you.