Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technican
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

How To Replace An Alternator on 1992 Cadillac Eldorado

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

Hello and good afternoon. Your alternator is mounted right on top of the engine so removal is very straight forward. Disconnect the battery, remove the belt. Remove the bolts that hold the alternator to the bracket. The sizes you will need are 13 mm, 15 mm and 10 mm sockets. I think that will cover every bolt on that unit. Unplug the connector and the battery lead from the alternator. Then you can remove the alternator. Make sure you old and new alternators look exactly the same and that the pulleys are the correct sizes. Reinstall the belt and reconnect your power and you should be back in business. I'm sorry I don't have pictures, it's because it is straight forward and not included in our info system.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I remove the belt
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

There is a belt tensioner that is indicated in this picture. You will insert a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square on the tensioner and apply pressure so the tensioner moves upward, then you can remove the belt. Make sure you draw a picture of the belt routing so you don't have any problem when it's time to reinstall it.

graphic