Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2001 Cadillac dts: Where exactly is the mode actuator..console

Customer Question
Where exactly is the mode...
Where exactly is the mode actuator at on a a 2001 Cadillac dts and do I have to remove the floor console to do it?
Thanks
Ruth Mayer
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
8/14/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: John, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
John, ASE Certified Technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Here is information that will help you.This is a BIG job.

Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement

Caution: When you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, you must disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause air bag deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SIR system repairs.

1. Disable SIR.
  2. Remove the IP center storage compartment or the floor console.
  3. Remove the drivers knee bolster bracket.
  4. Remove the passenger knee bolster.
  5. Remove the IP outer trim covers.
  6. Remove the defroster grille.
  7. Remove the IP upper trim pad.
  8. Remove the heads up display, if equipped with UV2. Object Number: 105537  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  9. Disconnect the body to IP electrical connectors (1) at the top, outside corners of IP.
    Object Number: 550997  Size: SH
  10. Remove the steering column to body fasteners (1).
  11. Disconnect the intermediate steering shaft from the steering gear. .
    Object Number: 746116  Size: SH
  12. For a DeVille base model, and the DeVille DHS, remove the range selector cable retainer from the range selector cable.
    Object Number: 746114  Size: SH
  13. Remove the range selector cable from the ball stud.
    Object Number: 746113  Size: SH
  14. Release the locking tabs (1) on the range selector cable
  15. Remove the range selector cable (2) from the steering column.
    Object Number: 748494  Size: SH
  16. If equipped with electronic tilt and telescoping steering wheel, disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the tilt and telescoping module to the main body harness.
    Object Number: 748492  Size: SH
  17. Disconnect the steering column main harness connector (1).
    Object Number: 551005  Size: SH
  18. Remove the IP center support bracket fasteners (1) to floor bracket.
  19. Disconnect the wiring harness connector (2), located next to the IP center support.
    Object Number: 474609  Size: SH
  20. Remove IP carrier (1) to cowl fasteners.
    Object Number: 551934  Size: SH
  21. Remove the fasteners (1, 2) from the left and right IP carrier to hinge pillar.
    Object Number: 474611  Size: SH
  22. Remove the IP and carrier assembly from the vehicle.

Object Number: 474611  Size: SH
  1. Install the IP and carrier assembly to the vehicle.
    Object Number: 551934  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the fasteners (1) through the IP carrier to the hinge pillar.

Tighten
    Tighten the IP carrier fasteners to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 474609  Size: SH
  3. Install the IP carrier to cowl fasteners (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the IP carrier to cowl fasteners to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 551005  Size: SH
  4. Install the IP center support bracket fasteners (1) to floor bracket.

Tighten
    Tighten the IP center support bracket fasteners to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

5. Connect the wiring harness connector (2), located next to the IP center support.
    Object Number: 550997  Size: SH
  6. Connect the intermediate steering shaft. Install the steering column support fasteners (1).
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the fasteners to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 748494  Size: SH
  8. If equipped with electronic tilt and telescoping steering wheel, connect the tilt and telescoping module electrical connector (1).
    Object Number: 748492  Size: SH
  9. Connect the steering column harness electrical connector (1).
    Object Number: 746113  Size: SH
  10. For a DeVille base model, and the DeVille DHS, Install the range selector cable to the steering column.
  11. Install the range selector cable to the ball stud.
    Object Number: 746116  Size: SH
  12. Install the range selector cable retainer
    Object Number: 105537  Size: SH
  13. Connect the IP to body electrical connectors (1) at top outside corners of IP.
  14. Install the heads up display, if equipped with UV2. Install the IP upper trim pad. Install the defroster grille.
  15. Install the drivers knee bolster. Install the passenger knee bolster. Install the IP extension or the console. Install the left and right IP outer trim covers.Enable the SIR.

Mode Valve Actuator Replacement

Object Number: 292128  Size: SH
  1. Remove the instrument panel carrier. Console.

Important: The left air temperature actuator does not need to be removed in order to remove the mode actuator.

The left air temperature actuator is removed in the graphic in order to show the screw locations.

2. Remove the mode actuator retaining screws (1).
  3. Remove the mode actuator.
    Object Number: 817976  Size: SH
  4. Note the position of the door levers to the cam.

The mode door levers must be in the same position in order to reassemble the mode actuator to the HVAC case.

Object Number: 817976  Size: SH
  1. The mode door levers must be in the this position in order to reassemble the mode actuator to the HVAC case.
  2. Lubricate the pivots on the mode door levers and the channels on the mode actuator cam before assembling.
    Object Number: 292128  Size: SH
  3. Align the mode door levers with the cam slots, as noted on disassembly.
  4. Install the mode actuator to the HVAC module.

5. Install the mode actuator retaining screws (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 1.4 N·m (12 lb in).

6. Install the instrument panel carrier. Re-calibrate the actuators.
John, ASE Certified Technician