Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

1999 cadillac deville cluster removal

Customer Question
1999 cadillac deville cluster removal
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
8/9/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: John, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
John, ASE Certified Technician

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Here is information that should help you.

Instrument Panel Upper Trim Pad Replacement (DeVille)

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
    Personal injury
    Unnecessary SIR system repairs
    In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
    Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
    If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Remove the defroster grille.
  3. Remove the windshield garnish moldings. Remove the air outlet deflectors. Object Number: 519693  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  4. Close the air outlets (1) in order to prevent the upper trim pad fasteners from falling into the HVAC ducts.
    Object Number: 499335  Size: SH
  5. Remove the 3 fasteners (1) that retain the upper trim panel.

Remove the fasteners through the defroster grille openings.

6. Remove the 4 fasteners (2) through the air outlet deflector openings that retain the upper trim panel.

Important: This step refers to the passenger side of the vehicle.

7. Press down on the forward edge of the trim panel while pulling upward and back on the rear edge of the trim panel.

Remove the upper trim panel.

Instrument Cluster Replacement

1. Remove the following fuses from the rear compartment fuse panel:
    A5-IPC (Ign)
    B5-IPC (Batt)
  2. Remove the fuse A3-IGN 1 from the engine compartment fuse panel.
  3. Remove the upper trim pad. Disconnect the 3 electrical connectors on top of the instrument cluster.
    Object Number: 493866  Size: SH
  4. Remove the 4 fasteners (1) retaining the cluster to the instrument panel.
  5. Remove the cluster.

Object Number: 493866  Size: SH
  1. Position the cluster to the instrument panel.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the 4 fasteners (1) in order to retain the cluster to the instrument panel.

Tighten
    Tighten the fasteners to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

3. Connect the 3 electrical connectors to the top of the instrument cluster.
  4. Install the upper trim pad. Install the fuses to the fuse panel.
    A5-IPC (Ign)
    B5-IPC (Batt)
    AG-Ign
  5. Re-program the (IPC). Deterrent.

1. HOW I DISABLE THE SIR SYSTEM (SUPPLEMENTAL INFLATABLE RESTRAINT).

2. LOCATION OF THE REAR COMPARTMENT FUSE PANEL.

3. LOCATION THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT FUSE PANEL.

4. HOW TO RE-PROGRAM THE (IPC).

1 disconnect the battery

2 under the rear seat

3 under the hood on drivers side

4 A Tech 2 scan tool is needed & access to GM software.

(IPC) MEANING ?.

WHY I HAVE TO RE-PROGRAM ?

Instrument panel cluster = IPC

When an IPC is put into a vehicle it has to be programmed for that exact vehicle.

John, ASE Certified Technician

COULD YOU PLEASE RECOMEND A MECHANIC IN MIAMI-FLORIDA TO REMOVE/INSTALL THE CLUSTER.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

I am not familiar with any technicians in the Miami,Florida.
John, ASE Certified Technician