Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

what are the symtoms of a bad crank sensor where is it located

Customer Question
what are the symtoms of...
what are the symtoms of a bad crank sensor? where is it located and how hard is it to replace?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
7/7/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

A faulty crankshaft position sensor can cause intermittent engine quitting while driving and will immediately start back up, to a no-start condition when trying to first start it.

Failure of the snesor may or may not set a fault code in the onboard computer and set the check engine light.

Yours actually has two crank sensors. They are located towards bottom the engine block near the oil filter housing on side of engine that faces the front of the vehicle. They arent difficult to replace. You just need to have the front end jacked up to access them from underneath. There is an air deflector underneath the vehicle to remove, and then remove the oil filter adaptor to get to them:

• Remove the air deflector.
  • Remove the oil filter adaptor.
  • Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
  • Remove the crankshaft sensor retaining bolt.
  • Remove the crankshaft sensor.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing CKP Sensors

•  

To install:

NOTE Inspect the crankshaft sensor O-ring for wear or damage. If a problem is found, replace the O-ring.

1. Lubricate the crankshaft sensor O-ring with clean engine oil.
      NOTE Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
    2. Install the crankshaft sensor and the retaining bolt. Tighten the retaining bolt between 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
    3. Connect the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
    4. Install the oil filter adaptor.
    5. Install the air deflector.
    6. Lower the vehicle.
    7. Operate the engine and inspect crankshaft sensor for engine oil leaks.
    8. Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. Must be done with a diagnostic scanner

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

in case you can obtain a diagnostic scanner, here is relearn procedure:

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure

NOTE For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC P1336.

1. Install a scan tool.
    2. With a scan tool, monitor the powertrain control module for DTCs. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P1336, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
    3. With a scan tool, select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure.
    4. Observe the fuel cut-off for the engine that you are performing the learn procedure on.
    5. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
    6. Block the drive wheels.
    7. Apply the vehicles parking brake.
    8. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
    9. Apply and hold the brake pedal.
    10. Start and idle the engine (with A/C OFF).
    11. Place the vehicle's transmission in Park (A/T) or Neutral (M/T).
    12. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set. Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set. Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
    13. With the scan tool, enable the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure.
      NOTE While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
    14. Slowly increase the engine speed to the RPM that you observed.
    15. Immediately release the throttle when fuel cut-off is reached.
    16. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool does NOT display this message and no additional DTCs set, refer to Symptom Diagnosis (No Codes) section . If a DTC set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
    17. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
    Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager