Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1990 cadillac: 220,000 miles..well maintained..highway..no dash lights…

Customer Question
I have a 1990 cadillac...
I have a 1990 cadillac sedan deville, with 220,000 miles on it. its in great shape and very well maintained, noticed the other day while i was driving on the highway, the car lost all electrical power for a second or 2.(nothing work, no dash lights, the radio, nothing, it was like the battery was taken out). its done this a few more times the past week, and today it did it again and had no power for about a minute, any thoughts as to what could be going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cadillac
6/23/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

if you are loosing all power to the dash components but the vehicle is still running

it is not loosing battery power or the motor would stall

it sounds to me like a bad ignition switch (electrical)

this could cause the dash to cut out while the motor continues to run.

I would have the ignition switch tested

let me know if you need more help

thanks

Paul

the car does stall, there is no power and then it regains power, you can start it, but it hesitates when you accelerate like it wants to stall out, and then it loses power again, and just keeps doing it over and over

I would check your connections at the battery for being clean and tight

if the battery connections are good I would suspect the ignition switch is cutting off the power

Paul

I kinda thought that could be the problem, but my stereo, which is an aftermarket, is wired directly to the battery, and it even stops working. checked battery connections and they are fine

if your radio is going out too and is wired directly to the battery

then you either have a problem with a ground cable or the battery connections or the battery could be shorting out internally

I would check all the ground straps that run from the battery for clean and tight connections

it is possible for the battery to be shorting out internally causing this type of issue

Paul

will getting the battery tested, show if its shorting out, since this happens randomly?

it may not.. sometimes it will .. it depends if the load test causes it to short or not.

it's worth a try it may short out for the load test

Paul

also, would you happen to have a diagram for the ground straps, or is it just one that runs from the battery to a point on the chasis?

I do not have a diagram but there is usually a ground strap that runs from the negative battery to the engine and another to the body

I would check that where they bolt to the engine and the body is clean and tight

and also check the connections at the battery by removing them and checking for any signs of corrosion

Paul

checked battery terminals there fine, ground straps look good any other thoughts?

like I said if the radio is wired directly

then it still cuts out I would suspect the battery

Paul

would that cause the car to stumble and hesitate when you try to accelerate?

does the power come in and out when it happens?

Paul

No, its just running funny. Like its not getting fuel or something and that started shortly after it started doing the whole power loss thing

I would suspect it is 2 totally different issues going on

did you have any check engine light coming on?

Paul

nope, no check engine lights coming on. are there any relays that may cut off the power as a saftey feature?

the relays would not cause all circuits to die out

this is more like a battery issue , ground cable issue

Paul