Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Cadillac Deville wont start after refueling.

Customer Question
Cadillac Deville ran out of...

Cadillac Deville ran out of gas and won't start after refueling.

What could it be?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
6/6/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman replied 7 years ago
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

It sounds as though your issues have become complicated. The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel at the bottom of the tank, so that the fuel can lubricate the pump and keep it cool. When the fuel is allowed to run so low that its runs out, the pump looses its lubrication and cooling, similar to what would happen if you drained the coolant and oil from the motor and then drive down the street. Running out of fuel doesn't not always kill the fuel pump, sometimes we get lucky and can add some and be OK, but when you add some and it never restarts, its usually because the pump failed due to being out of fuel.

It also sounds as though the vehicle was cranked long enough to discharge the battery.

What you can try, before you get the vehicle towed somewhere, is make sure it has several gallons of gas (more than just 1 or 2) so that the pump can be partially submerged again (but don't fill it up). Give it plenty of time to cool off (if this just happened this morning). Have the battery charged or hook jumper cables up to the car so it can be cranked, and while somebody cranks the car, beat on the bottom of the gas tank w/ a mallet or board (something solid). Be careful not to use a sharp object as the gas tank is plastic. Sometimes the jarring action of hitting on the bottom of the tank can free up a stuck pump allowing it to run again.

If that doesn't work, then the next step would be to check the fuses to make sure the pump didn't overheat and blow the fuse.

If none of that helps, you may need a fuel pump, I hate to say.

GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman