ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Technician & T2 diesel
Experience:  30 years experience foreign and domestic, GM certified
11302663

I SMELL ANTIFREEZE ON A 1999 CADILLAC SEVILLE NORSTAR ENGINE

Customer Question

I SMELL ANTIFREEZE ON A 1999 CADILLAC SEVILLE NORSTAR ENGINE BUT THE COOLING SYSTEM HOLDS PRESSURE AND HAS NO LEAKS , COULD IT BE A CRACKED CYLINDER I JUST BOUGHT IT ,HE COOLING SYSTEM DID GELL FRO MHE PREVIOUS OWNER MIXING ANTIFREEZE, I HAD IT FLUSHED YESTERDAY FROM A GM SHOP THAY ALSO CHANGED THE OIL AND FOUND NO SINE OF ANTIFREEZE IN THE OIL, IS THIS CAR RELIABLE.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

greetings,

these engine are known for leaking head gaskets. The block was made with the threads for the head bolts too deep and the head bolts loosen up. The repair is to drill and tap/heli coil the affected holes. 40 plus hours. I would make sure the heater core is not leaking and you are just not seeing it yet. Look under the passenger side of the dash and see if anywhere feels greasy.

If possible I would see about returning the vehicle, theses have many issues from the engine to the trans and most are expensive repairs.

Customer Satisfaction - Engine Block Cylinder Head Bolt Thread Holes-Deep Counterbore # XXXXX - (Mar 19, 2002)

Models:
Certain 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora Model Vehicle
Equipped with 4.0L Engine (RPO L47-VIN Code C)

Certain 1999 Cadillac Seville, DeVille and Eldorado Model Vehicles
Equipped with 4.6L Engine (RPO LD8-VIN Code Y or RPO L37-VIN Code 9)

Campaigns start and stop when the manufacturer decides, not like recalls.

You might be able to call and get help from GM corporate, I would start to ask for help from a dealer.

good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I READ THAT YEARS PRIOR TO 1999 THAY HAD HEAD GASKET PROBLEMS BUT NOT THE NORSTAR I ALSO BOUGHT IT FROM A PRIVATE PARTY, I DID BRING IT TO A MECHANIC HE SAID IT LOOKED GOOD.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

I would check the vin#.

here is more of the campaign

General Motors has decided that certain 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles, equipped with 4.0L engine (RPO L47, VIN C) and Cadillac Seville, DeVille and Eldorado model vehicles equipped with 4.6L engine (RPO LD8, VIN 9 or RPO L37 VIN Y) may exhibit a condition in which they cylinder head bolts may become loose and cause coolant leaks and possible engine damage. This may be due to the engine block cylinder head bolt counterbore holes being machined too deeply into the engine block.

To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, dealers are to inspect vehicles held under the above referenced stop delivery and those delivered to customers. Depending on the findings, the engine may not require any further repairs, may require replacement or the vehicle may need to be returned to GM.

graphic

Involved are certain 1999 Oldsmobile Aurora model vehicles equipped with 4.0L engine (RPO L47, VIN C) and Cadillac Seville, DeVille and Eldorado model vehicles equipped with 4.6L engine (RPO LD8, VIN Y and RPO L37, VIN 9), and built within the VIN breakpoints shown

Important: Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through VISS (Vehicle Information Service System) prior to beginning campaign repairs. Information for Oldsmobile Auroras delivered to customer will be loaded in VISS at a later date when 4.0L engines are available and Oldsmobile owner letters are mailed. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved]

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI THE VIN IS 1G6KS54YXXU935953, IS THAT A BAD ONE
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

yes, you have one of them.

seville goes XU938976- XU940640

you are 1G6KS54YXXU935953

Edited by ironmike on 5/31/2010 at 5:03 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
PLEASE Answer is that vin ok
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

sorry, after checking again you just miss under.

I have seen recalls and campaigns expanded to include more. This may still be your issue. You can have a combustion test done on the cooling system.

Edited by ironmike on 5/31/2010 at 5:09 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i dont get it my vin is before the # XXXXX XXXXX is that before XU938976 through XU940640, and what can i do at this point if i have a bad engine
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SO MIKE IS THAT A GOOD THING
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
PLEASE RESPOND THANKS
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

It might be. It might still be your problem.

I thought you were on the list at first. The engine can be repaired or replaced. Many dealers would rather replace these days. Too many come back with leaks or issues shortly after the repair. You might think of getting a service contract. Many will let you buy without an inspection and if you wait 30 days they will pay without asking much. I supervised Chrysler service contracts and we paid for a ton of the Cadillac engines and repairs, along with the transmissions.

You can buy on the internet from Chrysler.

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.
how many miles?

Edited by ironmike on 5/31/2010 at 5:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
83500 MILES
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI MIKE ALSO HOW MUCH IS A SERVICE CONTRACT AND WHAT IS THE CONTACT PHONE FOR THE CONTRACT THANKS BILL
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

Just checked the site. 10 years old and less than 125K miles. You can try another company. The prices can range from 800-2K dollars. You could get the cheaper that just covers the power train(engine, trans, and sometimes steering) You need to get the system check with a special tester. It uses a dye that changes color when exposed to the open coolant system. If there are exhaust gases(head gasket or cracked head/block) the color will change(blue-yellow-green)

Expert:  ironmike replied 7 years ago.

You can also call a GM dealer and ask for GMPP(gm extended warranty)

I did a bunch of work with that, only pay warranty time. But the customers love it, don't know prices.