Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Cadillac CTS: diagrams..front running lights..factory..front bumper

I need detailed instructions with...
I need detailed instructions with diagrams on how to replace the front running lights on my 09 Cadillac CTS - it has the factory xenon headlamps - not the standard halogens. Looks like the front bumper has to come off... I'm hoping this is not so.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/16/2010
John, ASE Certified Technician

Hello & Welcome,

This should help you.When you say "front running lights" ,this is what I am thinking.If you need more help,please ask.

Wheelhouse Extension Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Remove the front fender liner.
  2. Remove the engine splash shield.

1

Wheelhouse Extension Push-Pin (Qty: 8)

2

Wheelhouse Extension

Tip
Turn the extension to the side to remove.

Front Fog Lamp Replacement (Sedan)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Remove either the LF or RF wheelhouse extension. Disconnect the fog lamp bulb socket electrical connector.

1

Front Fog Lamp Adjuster Screw

Procedure

1. Remove the adjuster screw from the fog lamp bracket and lamp assembly.
  2. Count the number of turns when removing the adjuster screw for a reference upon installation.
  3. Aim the fog lamps after installation.

2

Front Fog Lamp Screw (Qty: 2)

Tighten
2 N·m (18 lb in)

3

Front Fog Lamp Assembly

Tip
Remove the lamp assembly from the fog lamp bracket.

4

Front Fog Lamp Bulb Socket

Tip
Turn the bulb socket counterclockwise and remove from the lamp assembly.

Thanks for your reply. I was already able to replace the fog lamps using the method you show above - actually there is enough play in the fender liner that it does not have to be completely removed to just replace the fog bulb - which is by the way an H11.

The daytime running lamps are just above the Xenon lamps and below the turn signal on the main headlamp assembly. The prodedure to replace them should be similar to the prdocedure to replace the headlamp turn signal bulbs. I couldn't access the back of the headlamp from the back of the fog lamp area - looks like fender metal is inthe way - I am guessing you come in from above - though my vision was a bit obscured by the fender liner. Again diagrams much appreciated. Also, is the running lamp also an H11? Thanks.

Ok,looks like all has to come apart.

Front Bumper Fascia Air Deflector Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Raise the vehicle. Support the vehicle with suitable safety stands.

1

Front Bumper Lower Fascia Air Deflector Plastic Retainer (Qty: 20)

2

Front Bumper Lower Fascia Air Deflector

Front Compartment Sight Shields Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

1

Front Compartment Sight Shield Plastic Retainer (Qty: 6)

Procedure

Rotate the plastic retainer counterclockwise and remove.

2

Front Compartment Sight Shield

Front Bumper Fascia Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Remove the front wheelhouse extension. Remove the front bumper air deflector. Disconnect the headlamp washer hose from the fascia.
  2. Remove the front compartment sight shields.

1

Front Bumper Fascia Plastic Retainer (Qty: 4)

2

Front Bumper Fascia Bolt (Qty: 4)

Tip
Reach underneath the wheelhouse to access the bolts.

Tighten
2 N·m (18 lb in)

3

Front Bumper Fascia

Procedure

1. Pull forward to remove the front bumper fascia.
  2. Disconnect any electrical connectors.
  3. Transfer parts as needed.

Headlamp Capsule Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SF

Callout

Component Name

Warning: The high intensity discharge system produces high voltage and current. In order to reduce the risk of severe shocks and burns, the battery negative cable must be disconnected any time service work is being performed on or around the high intensity discharge system.

Warning: The high intensity discharge system produces high voltage and current. To reduce the risk of severe shocks and burns:

Never open the high intensity discharge system ballast or the arc tube assembly starter.
Never probe between the high intensity discharge system ballast output connector and the arc tube assembly.

Preliminary Procedure

1. Open and support the hood.
  2. Remove the front bumper fascia.
  3. Disconnect the headlamp electrical connector at the base of the headlamp assembly.

1

Headlamp Capsule Assembly Bolt (Qty: 2)

Tighten
6 N·m (53 lb in)

2

Headlamp Capsule Assembly Nut

Headlamp Assembly or Headlamp Bulb and/or Cornering, Sidemarker, Park, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement (TT6)
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the headlamp capsule.

1

Accessory Cap Screw (Qty: 3)

Tip
Hand tighten only, the accessory cap screws.

2

Accessory Cap

Tip
Inspect and ensure the accessory cap seal is properly seated prior to installing the accessory cap cover.

3

Turn Signal Lamp Bulb

Procedure

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the bulb socket.
  2. Rotate the bulb socket counter-clockwise and remove from the headlamp assembly.
  3. Replace the bulb as needed.

4

Daytime Running Lamp Bulb (DRL)

Procedure

2. Pinch the bulb socket locking tabs and pull the bulb socket from the headlamp assembly.
  3. Replace the bulb as needed.

5

Accessory Cap Screw (Qty: 3)

Tip

6

Accessory Cap

Tip
Inspect and ensure the seal is properly seated prior to installing the accessory cap.

7

Headlamp Bulb with Ballast

Procedure

1. Rotate counter-clockwise and unlock the bulb ballast assembly and remove from the headlamp composite.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the bulb ballast.
John, ASE Certified Technician
Holy Crap! I was right. You just saved me a lot of aggravation. Thats a job for the dealer. Thanks.
Yea,i bet the engineers got a good laugh on this one.
John, ASE Certified Technician