Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

1996 Cadillac Seville: the 4 bolts on the water pump housing..hose

I am replacing the water pump in my 1996 Cadillac Seville (4.6 NorthStar). I have removed 3 of the 4 bolts on the water pump housing, BUT there is a wire loop that is COMPLETELY blocking the 4th bolt (bottom right, below what I believe is the bypass hose...which I removed). I have tried for hours, and can't figure out how to get to that 4th bolt. Any suggestions please?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX must remove the thermostat housing to get to this bolt, have you done this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Tim. I'm not sure. I removed the actual thermostat and hose. Here is a pic of where I am right now:

graphic
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
ok, we use a 1/4 inch drive extention and a wobble socket on these, if you dont have one, then yo will have to remove that wire loom from its bracket, it is taped to the bracket with electrical tape, use a razor blade to cut the electrical tape, then pry the harness away enough to get on the bolt. Do you have the special tool to remove the pump from the housing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, i have the special tool to remove the pump. i just don't see any place where there is any kind of bracket holding it. do you mean the "Y" where it branches out to connect to the air filter? it just seems to be stretched SO tight that moving it more than a centimeter or so in any direction is impossible. i have a 3/8 drive with extensions.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
the 3/8 th is too big, we use the 1/4 inch
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, i'll try that. i can't believe they make it this hard to get to 1 bolt. thanks for your help.