Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

1999 Cadillac Deville: overheating..is a factory defect..antifreeze

Customer Question
My mother has a 1999...
My mother has a 1999 Cadillac Deville with an overheating problem that the manufacturer has said is a factory defect. Is there anyway to solve the problem
of overheating and loss of water/antifreeze? She has to add more water/antifreeze every 3 or 4 days or about every tank or two of gas. She had new intake gaskets put on it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Cadillac
1/31/2010
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Hello <a href="../profile.aspx?PF=8252313&FID=118"Customer

These engines are known for blowing head gaskets and coolant leaking into the cylinders.
These engines are known for pulling the threads out of the block for the head bolts when they over heat the engine.
The repair shops have block testers to see if there is exhaust gases in the coolant to help determine if the gaskets are blown or not.
You should not drive it with it going through this much coolant. It can hydrolock the engine and do major damage.
Still did not answer the question as how to fix it?
If it is a head gasket issue, the cylinder heads need to be removed and replace the gaskets. This is a BIG job on this engine. About 30 hours of work. But it would need to be confirmed that it is a head gasket.
A coolant leak can also be caused by a water pump leak or a radiator leak. You can borrow a radiator pressure tester from the local auto part stores and pressure the coolant system up to see where the leak is coming from if its leaking on the ground. A head gasket may leak internal and you wont see any signs of it leaking on the ground.
Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Dan, ASE Certified Technician