Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

1998 cadilLAC STS: REPLACE THE RADIATOR WATER PUMP AND THE THERMOSTAT

Customer Question
i have a 1998 cadilLAC...
i have a 1998 cadilLAC STS AND I HAVE REPLACE THE RADIATOR WATER PUMP AND THE THERMOSTAT BUT THE CAR IS STILL OVER HEATING WAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cadillac
11/22/2009
Cadillac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
These cars are famous for the headgaskets failing and considering you replaced the waterpump, thermostat, and radiator that pretty much leaves at as the only possibility. You can confirm this by getting a coolant system pressureizer from your local parts store and pressurizing the system to see if it holds pressure if not its the headgasket. You can also get a chemical tester to check for exhaust gas in the coolant, if present this also confirms it as the problem. Let me know if you have questions thanks.
but the car doesnt make no noice i drive the car and smoke start coming out the water resevoir but the car heats up for a little while then the temperature needle stays at the half way point
You can bring the vehicle to a shop with a coolant flushing machine to have them flush the coolant which will get all of the air out of the system, it sounds like that is part of the problem right now but problem still exists then the headgaskt needs to be replaced. Usually when the headgasket fails on these it allows exhaust gas to go into the coolant causing air bubbles and for it to get too hot. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

wat are the signs of the head gaskets needing to be replaced will the car make noices

It wont make noises the main signs are going through coolant and overheating. But at the beginning stages of headgasket failure on this vehicle it usually does not go through coolant or at least much. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician