Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

Remove the front passenger door panel on my 2004 Cadillac DTS?

How do I remove the...
How do I remove the front passenger door panel on my 2004 Cadillac DTS?
8/31/2009
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, directions follow. The panel is held on with about 10 plastic clips that simply push into holes on the door. the special tool referred to is to go between the door and panel to "pop" the clips out and remove panel. you do not need specail tool and can use scredriver to pop the clips out. If any break, they can be bought very cheap at most any parts store. If 1 or 2 break, you can still put panel back on with no problems. they do have a tenency to dry out and break sometimes

Tools Required

J 36796 Clip Zip Clip Removal Tool, or J 38778 Door Trim Pad Clip Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Position the window fully downward.

1. Ensure the manual lock knob (1) is in the unlock position.
  2. Insert a flat bladed tool into the top service notch in order to disengage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the manual lock knob (1).
  3. Remove the manual lock knob (1).

1. Remove the inside handle bezel from the inner door panel in the following order:
  1. Hold the inside handle to the open position.
  2. Insert a flat bladed tool at the front lower corner of the bezel.
  3. Pry outward on the bezel.
  4. Remove the bezel from the inner door panel.
  1. Remove the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal.

1. Use the J 36796 or J 38778 in order to release the eight retainers around the outside edges of the door trim panel.

1. Slide the door trim panel (1) upwards to release it from the following:
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The eight retainers
    • The arm rest steel retainer clips (3)
    • The inner belt molding (2)
  1. Disconnect the door trim panel electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

1. Slide the electrical connector (4) into position on the water deflector (1).
  2. Remove the steel retainer clips (2) from the arm rest pull handle brackets.
  3. Slide the steel clips (2) into the nylon nuts (3).

1. Install the door trim panel to the inner door in the following order:
  1. Position the door trim panel (1) downward over the following:
    • The manual lock rod
    • The inner belt molding (2)
  1. Engage the door trim panel simultaneously into the following:
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The electrical connector
    • The armrest pull handle retainer clips (3)
    • The eight retainers

Caution: This screw must be properly installed. This screw is critical in order to maintain retention of the inside handle to the slider-glide mechanism. Failure to properly install this screw may allow the door to unlatch during a collision, resulting in personal injury.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Install the screw attaching the inside door handle to the sheet metal. Tighten the screw to 0.5 N.m (4 lb in).
  2. Install the inside handle bezel to the inner door panel in the following order:
  2. Insert the rear hook on the bezel to the wood trim tab.
  3. Press the forward end of the bezel inward until it is fully seated.

Important: Ensure the manual lock rod is in the full up/unlocked position.

1. Position the manual lock knob (1) into the bezel opening until the locking clip (2) bottoms out on the bezel.
  2. Engage the locking clip (2) located at the front of the lock knob (1) to the lock rod.

Tools Required

Removal Procedure

1. Position the window fully downward.

3. Remove the manual lock knob (1).

3. Pry outward on the bezel.

• The alignment datums (4)
    • The eight retainers
    • The arm rest steel retainer clips (3)
    • The inner belt molding (2)

Installation Procedure

• The manual lock rod
    • The inner belt molding (2)
    • The alignment datums (4)
    • The electrical connector
    • The eight retainers

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
I do not think pics went through. I tried 2 times lmk thanks
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech