Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

2000 cadillac deville: idles high..i have my foot on the brake

Customer Question
my 2000 cadillac deville idles...
my 2000 cadillac deville idles high and wont go down it fells like i have my foot on the brake and the gas at the same time when i come to a stop
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cadillac
8/20/2009
Cadillac Mechanic: Derek B, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Derek B
Derek B, ASE Certified Technician
Okay a couple of things you need to check here. First make sure you don't have any vacuum hoses unplugged. Next make sure the throttle blade closes all the way. It is probably not either of those things but you need to make sure. Next remove the Iac valve from the throttle body. It is on the side facing the front higher than the tps sensor. It has a 4 wire connector. Make sure this is clean. If it is not clean it. This valve controls the idle speed. After cleaning it turn the ignition on with the engine off. The Iac shouldmove in and out to find the stops. If it does not move you have either bad wiring, Iac or pcm. Most likely is Iac.
is that the idle air control valve
Yes sorry. Iac is short for Idle air control valve.
just put a new one in
And it is still idling high with the new one? Does the iac move back and forth? Also does your throttle blade close all the way?
how can u tell if it moves ya it still idls high wher is the trottle blad and how do i no if its working
The throttle blade is inside the throttle body. Take off the rubber intake hose and look inside the blade should be closed. Check to see if the iac is moving by taking it out. hook up the connector and turn the ignition on with the engine off. The iac should move in and out to learn the stops.
what if the blads are open what do i do and if the iac dos not move in and out what to do

If the blade is open It is stuck. Check the throttle cable to make sure you have slack. If there is slack and the blade won't close try cleaning it to free the blade up. If there is no slack remove the cable from the blade to see if it closes farther. If it does your cable is bad. I still think your idle system is more likely though. Do you have a Iac tester or no?

no i dont have a iac tester some times it gos down you hear a clik when it gos down
What goes down the iac or the throttle blade? If the iac it doesn't come all the way back out?
the idle some times drops so low u cant hear the car at all
You will just be sitting there and the idle drops or like sometimes coming to a stop the idle is correct?
no when i start the car the idle is high then it should drop after 15 seconds but it dose not sumtimes and sometimes when i start it it is fine it will idle high then drop
That is not the throttle blade. You need to check the iac. Also try while the engine is abnormally idling high wiggle the connector at the iac. If that doesn't work you need to check the wires from the pcm to the iac.It could also be a bad pcm driver. You diagnose a pcm by eliminating everything else.
whats the pcm driver
The driver is the part of the pcm that moves the iac. Drivers are the higher power of the pcm. For stuff like fuel injectors, Iac valve etc.
whats a pcm
Powertrain Control module. The computer that controls your engine functions.
Derek B
Derek B, ASE Certified Technician
Derek B
Derek B
Derek B, ASE Certified Technician