Cadillac

Cadillac Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cadillac

1999 Cadillac Deville Security Lockout engages and car wont start

Customer Question
This has happened several times...
This has happened several times and I don't know what's causing it. I read online today that the problem could be solved if I knew how to use and ohm meter to determine the problem. Can you tell me more about that or what to look for to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Roy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Cadillac
4/24/2009
Cadillac Mechanic: michael, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician

hello... the "procedure" they are speaking of online would require you to

1. measure the resistance of the black/silver pellet imbedded in the ignition key.
  2. then purchase a resistor of that same reading ( give or take about 25 ohms)
  3. then cut the 2 small white wires inside the orange colored conduit at the bottom of the steering column
  4. install the resistor in between those 2 wires to basically take the place of the ignition switch.

your effectively taking the lock cylinder out of the theft system. seeing that 90% of the time the wires at the top edge of the lock cylinder break anyways... and since resistors rarely fail. this "trick" would make it so that you wouldn't have to keep replacing the cylinder every time the wire breaks.

michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician
We'll give it a try. Thank for your help.
your welcome and thank you for using Just Answer. have a good day.

OK. So the people we've talked to so far won't touch the resistor. Does that mean we need to take it to a shop? Does it have to go to the dealer or can other mechanics work the problem? We don't want to keep having more issues pop up with this.

One place told us we would have to bring it back in and pay for another diagnosis on it and then the fix on top of what they've already done. (I understood horses better. LOL)

hello... the reason most people wont install the resistor is because of a "liability factor"... it is a theft deterant and if altered... they COULD be held liable.

a dealer would just try to install another ignition lock cylinder and you'd still end up with this issue again in the future. if you can obtain a resistor... that is the right ohms... just about any independant shop should install it.

i'd ONLY recommend a diagnosis of the vehicle if you feel it needs to go into a shop... that way you can get the diagnostic and install whatever part they may recommend. but if you obtain the correct resistor... you could wire it in yourself in about 30 minutes.

The value of the resistor is rated in different wattages. How heavy of a wattage should I use.
michael
michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician