CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

I am on the board of the homeowner's association. I just…

Customer Question
I am on the board...
I am on the board of the homeowner's association. I just joined and experienced a lot of hostility there. It came from a contractor who was trying to employ his brother business for all the work to do - and who skillfully created himself support among the other members, with one being paid for the flood he created with the HOA insurance. Supposedly, he was supposed to repay the HOA insurance by charging his own insurance. He sold his unit and is moving out - how can we ensure that the insurance is paid before he does? Is it even real - one insurance paying another for the damages - or he made a use of public funds for his own damages by using his position on the board?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
3/29/2018
Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your concerns:

I am on the board of the homeowner's association. I just joined and experienced a lot of hostility there. It came from a contractor who was trying to employ his brother business for all the work to do - and who skillfully created himself support among the other members, with one being paid for the flood he created with the HOA insurance. Supposedly, he was supposed to repay the HOA insurance by charging his own insurance. He sold his unit and is moving out - how can we ensure that the insurance is paid before he does?

Response 1: Send a him formal bill to pay the amount owed. If he does not pay, then the lien can be put on his Unit if the sale has not been finalized. Otherwise. the HOA can sue him personally for the bill

Is it even real - one insurance paying another for the damages - or he made a use of public funds for his own damages by using his position on the board?

Response 3: Not, it is not real. His buddies on the HOA Board is trying to cover this illegality. This is a clear abuse of position and should be considered as embezzlement that you should be reported to your Police or District Attorney's office. This is also could be considered as insurance fraud.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.