CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

I am a broker and right now I am working in an agency as an…

I am a broker and...
I am a broker and right now I am working in an agency as an associate broker. I want to leave the agency and open my own real estate company.What is the better choice to open my own real estate agency. There are two choices: 1) getting a DBA from a county office as an individual or 2) getting a corporation license through the California real estate Secretary of State. The California Bureau of Real Estate.
I'm looking for the most tax advantage and lower liability.Please advice.
3/27/2018
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: A DBA will provide no liability protection. Anything that occurs will be 100% your responsibility and your personal assets would be at risk. A corporation will provide you with liability for anything that occurs that is not due to a direct action that you took. For example, if a prospective buyer falls and trips at a property that you are showing, you would not be liable, unless you tripped them.

The tax issue is somewhat trickier. Depending on the tax strategies that your accountant will assist you with, you may be able to save more taxes by forming a corporation. As an individual you would have to pay self-employment tax. Whereas, a corporation that does not implement a good tax strategy does pay double taxation. It would be important to speak with your accountant in either case to implement a strong tax strategy.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Thank you for your answer. However, I don't exactly understand the tax part. Meaning by opening a corporation, I get more liability protection, but at the end of the year I will pay more taxes, is that what you said.Please explain more about it.Thank you.

You get more liability protection.

A corporation will pay more taxes, unless you set up a proper strategy to avoid paying more taxes with your accountant.

Roy Hadavi
ok thanks

You're very welcome.

Thank you so much for the 5‑star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert‑royhadavi/ Or, simply request ARoy [email protected] in the first line of your question.