CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

When is it too late to request for a deposition in

Customer Question
California?...
When is it too late to request for a deposition in California?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
3/21/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

A deposition may be served

One moment please.

When?
Ok

A deposition may be served 10 days after the summons:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CCP&sectionNum=2025.270.

Discovery closes 30 days before trial per 2034.210 so any depositions would need to occur before then.

Also please see this guide:

https://saclaw.org/wp-content/uploads/sbs-discovery-depositions.pdf

It must be completed 30 days prior to trial:

CODE TEXT

CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE - CCP

PART 4. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS [1855 - 2107]

( Heading of Part 4 amended by Stats. 1965, Ch. 299. )

TITLE 4. CIVIL DISCOVERY ACT [2016.010 - 2036.050]

( Title 4 added by Stats. 2004, Ch. 182, Sec. 23. )

CHAPTER 8. Time for Completion of Discovery [2024.010 - 2024.060]

( Chapter 8 added by Stats. 2004, Ch. 182, Sec. 23. )

2024.020.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any party shall be entitled as a matter of right to complete discovery proceedings on or before the 30th day, and to have motions concerning discovery heard on or before the 15th day, before the date initially set for the trial of the action.

(b) Except as provided in Section 2024.050, a continuance or postponement of the trial date does not operate to reopen discovery proceedings.

10 days after summons? I'm a little confused

That is for the starting point for sending out depositions;

the 30 days before trial is the deadline by which the deposition must be completed.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.