CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

Regarding getting out of a commercial lease: if we tell the…

Regarding getting out of a...
Regarding getting out of a commercial lease: if we tell the landlord we are turning the property back to him, does he have a responsibility to re-rent the building or can he just do nothing and make us pay the balance of the lease? We have leased from him for ~20 years, and we want to close our business and retire. There is 1.75 years left on the lease. We are in Los Angeles.
3/13/2018
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Yes, the landlord has a legal obligation to find a replacement tenant. This is known as mitigating damages. However, the landlord does not have to drop everything to do this, if they are for example busy with other properties. Also, the landlord is able to charge you for all costs of re-letting the property, such as advertising costs and/or broker fees. Lastly, you are liable to the rent until the landlord finds a replacement tenant.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what would you think is a reasonable time period, 2 months?

There is no real timeline that can be applied. It depends on the market at the time and other such factors. But those are only helpful in the event of a lawsuit between you and the landlord. At that point you would try to put together evidence that the landlord did not properly mitigate the damages. One of the best things you can do is help the landlord find a replacement.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi