CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

Our home went through some water damage because the

sprinklers got set off. (No...
Our home went through some water damage because the sprinklers got set off. (No fire damage, just water damage).
We have AAA insurance, and they estimated damage at 14K, while an independent contractor quote us at about 30K. And we feel caught between AAA and the contractor. I think AAA is low-balling a bit, and the contractor probably has some buffer built in. Ideally, I'd just like AAA to agree to what the contractor is asking for, or at least get close, so that we can move forward.Any thoughts on the legal strategy to do this? Would it help to suggest to AAA that I was going to get a lawyer involved. Ideally, I don't want to get a lawyer involved, as the expenses would increase for everyone, not to mention the time involved in getting the job done.Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Nadir
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Never mind, no phone call needed. Just emailing back will be fine.
3/13/2018
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

If the contractor bid is deemed excessive the insurance company may request additional bids (usually 3). An insurance company is legally obligated to comply with the terms of the policy and the policy will typically state how many bids are required.

If the insurance company will not pay, the homeowner may sue for bad faith breach of insurance contract. If the parties cannot resolve the issue in addition to filing suit a complaint can be filed here:

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/101-help/

Here is the Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations which are binding on an insurance company:

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/130-laws-regs-hearings/05-CCR/fair-claims-regs.cfm

Please see specifically regulation 2695.7-

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/130-laws-regs-hearings/05-CCR/fair-claims-regs.cfm#settlements

legalgems
legalgems, attorney
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, attorney