CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

What are the step to requests production of documents in…

Customer Question
What are the step to...
What are the step to requests production of documents in California?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
3/10/2018
Lawyer: MCSmith,
 replied 5 months ago
MCSmith

Hello, I'm Michael and I will try to help you. Your question is complex and cannot be answered quickly or easily. Every aspect of discovery is governed by the California Code of Procedure (CCP). In particular, a request for production of documents is governed by CCP § 2031.010 et seq. The pleading paper, caption, formatting, and service of the request for production of documents must conform to the strict requirements set forth in the CCP. If you do not follow the rules, you will receive a raft of objections and no documents. I suggest that you try to review a request for production of documents prepared by an attorney or experienced paralegal. You will learn a lot very quickly by looking at a prototype.

How many days before trial can you request production of documents if you are the Defendant?