CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

I had to flee Ca after having my mobile home stolen by the…

Customer Question
I had to flee Ca...
I had to flee Ca after having my mobile home stolen by the Mobile Home Park. I am in NC and want to sue the park and the state for not following the laws. So for right now can I sue from NC. I own or Owned my mobile. They took me to small claims court and the judge when I asked him do you know mobile home law he said no... and proceeded to hear the case I tried to explained it to him. He said well I think I am going to go with them. I had 30 day to move the mobile but it would take before the police would come and physically remove me the California Laws state you cannot remove a owner for not paying a cable bill it has to be for Prostitute, selling drugs or non payment of RENT or Utilities neither of which I have done. The MHPark decided to put Verizon Cable in the park and I choose Charter service. the law state that you can not charge for services you Do Not receive. They refused my payments which is illegal also. I tried to get help from every agency in the of California that control these things. From the Governor all the way down to county to Mobilehome help groups. I have lost may House and belongings. over a 29.00 dollar cable bill. I need a specialist in Mobile Home Law whether it be from CA or NC
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
Answered in 6 days by:
3/14/2018
Lawyer: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has
not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed
assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me
know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
I still need help and guidence. I reallly don't want a Ca attorney. I have looked and most of them are for the mobile home park side.
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok, from what I can tell, it look slike your main question was whether you could sue while living in NC. The answer to your question is yes. Jurisdiction is proper typically in the state where the defendants live, if all of the defendants live there, or where the cause of action occurred. In your case, if the defendants and the cause of action both happened in CA, then you are welcome to sue from NC. The plaintiff's location is notwithstanding.

Filing a lawsuit is relatively simple, but there are some specific steps you must follow. Generally, you will want to begin with drafting up your complaint on 28-line pleading paper. You can usually get 28-line pleading paper as a Microsoft Word template or just looking online for a free copy of one. I usually recommend that you begin with a brief introduction and then start a new heading with a new paragraph where you lay out the facts. Once you are done laying out the facts, create a new heading that provides your legal analysis. For example, you could say that a breach of contract occurs when someone fails to fulfill their obligation in an agreement. It doesn't have to be very long, but something that explains what your legal authority is to bring the case. Afterward, you will want to have your “Prayer for Relief” as a separate heading and then you put in what you want (e.g. amount of money you want). Make three copies of this.

Once you do that, you should either look online or go to the courthouse to find out if there are any specific forms you must fill out. Many county courthouses require specific forms depending on the cause of action that you have and they’ll reject it if you don’t have the right forms. If you can get three copies in advance of going to the courthouse, do so and attach them to your complaint.

Once you fill out the forms and you have your complaint, you should go to the courthouse and file them. Most lawsuits require a filing fee. The court will stamp that the docs have been received. The court will keep one copy of the received document and the court will give you back the others (one for you to keep and one for you to serve).

When you get those documents, you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. Service is required when you are suing someone for almost all papers you file with the court. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

Finally, there’s the discovery process where you can ask the other party for documents and even take statements from witnesses (these are called depositions). If you can’t reach agreement, then you go to trial.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?