CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

I need to write an addendum to attach the master lease, to…

Customer Question
I need to write an...
I need to write an addendum to attach the master lease, to indicate: 1) The Landlord understands the tenants will sublease the property as vacation rental including Airbnb, vrbo and corporate housing. 2) The landlord understands the tenants will change the lock to electronic lock and will provide a copy of keys to the landlord 3) The landlord understands cannot disclose the relationship with the tenants with anyone including the tenant's employees and subleased tenants. I need help for how to write these wording professionally
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
12/28/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The way the first two are worded is fine, although a lawyer might use "intend to" rather than "will," in the first one simply because if anything happens and they don't lease the property on Air BnB - either now or in the future - they could be deemed to be in violation of the lease. For the electronic lock, it makes sense to still say "will provide," though, because you need a copy of the key.

The third one is a bit narrow. "cannot" is not the right word, legally speaking, because of course he can. The landlord has the ability to speak or write, and cannot means that something is impossible. Something like "agrees not to disclose" would be more accurate. However, "with anyone" is too limiting. If the landlord is sued, he needs the ability to discuss the tenants with the landlord. If the tenants trash the place, he needs the ability to sue them, which means discussing their relationship with the judge. If the fire department shows up, the landlord needs to be able to tell them that he owns the place. Even if the landlord decides to sell in a few years, he needs to be able to tell his realtor there's a tenant in there. That language is overly burdensome on the landlord.

Better wording might be something like "The landlord agrees not to disclose this lease agreement or its contents with tenants' employees, contractors, guests, or assigns." "Assigns" would include subtenants, although that can be specified if the parties feel more comfortable.

Do you have any questions about this?