CA Real Estate

California Real Estate Law Questions? Get Answers Online Now.

Can my tenants change the locks without my permission?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: CA Real Estate
12/16/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Attorney replied 8 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Is there a writen rental agreement or lease that states tenant cannot make any alterations to the property without landlord's consent?

It indicates that the tenant can not remove locks.
  • That means they breached the lease and you can serve a 3 day notice to cure or quit if they refuse to give you keys to the new locks.

• 3-Day Notice to Perform Covenants or Quit

This notice is for when the tenant broke a condition of the lease, and they can fix the problem. This is not for when the tenant doesn’t pay the rent. This happens more in commercial leases.

For example, a tenant might use the property to do something that’s not allowed, change the property or refuse to keep up or fix the property. Or, a tenant might not pay late fees or overdue rent.

The notice:

• Has to be in writing
    • Has to have the title "Three Day Notice to Perform Covenants or Quit"
    • Has to say the name of the tenant
    • Has to say the address you’re talking about
    • Has to say what the tenant did to break the lease
    • Has to give the tenant the chance to do fix the problem or move out in 3 days
    • Has to tell the tenant that if they don’t fix the problem in 3 days, they forfeit the lease
    • You have to sign and date the notice

from http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/civil/ud/ud_before.shtml#covenants

There is a sample form posted here.

I hope this information is helpful.

They have offered a set of keys to the door, but I don't want to get in a position where they are doing things without my knowledge.

Is this a month to month rental or a lease for a fixed term?

Month to month

I need to ask how long they have lived there and what town the rental unit is in.

For about 2 years. Oakland, Ca

Was the unit built after 1983? If not, it is registered weith the rent board? See

http://rapwp.oaklandnet.com/about/laws/

It was built before 1983

Is it a single family home or condo?

Is it registered with the rent board?